Wednesday, April 10, 2024

Don’t Bother

 

How To Say Don't Bother - YouTube

 

Ambiguity is a bother

And sometimes we don’t understand

Whether we should forge ahead

Or simply abort the plan.

 

You ask about something

And you hear, “Don’t bother,”

And straightway you begin to wonder

At the ambiguity that follows.

 

Does it mean, “Don’t worry,”

As in I should abort

Or does it mean, “Don’t worry,”

As in not to be distraught.

 

Don’t you see the ambiguity

That accompanies this command?

Positive in one case,

Negative on the other hand.

Set Of Square Plus Minus Sign Line Icons Buttons Flat Positive Negative  Symbols On White Background Stock Illustration - Download Image Now - iStock

Is it one of encouragement

Or is there a hint of indifference?

I guess the tone of the speaker

Could give some idea of sense.

 

If the tone is sharp or harsh

It may mean, “Look, forget about it!”

On the hand, if it is calm it could mean,

“Be encouraged, don’t quit.”

 

Don’t you see the dilemma

When you say don’t bother?

It confuses me regarding the course

I should follow.

 

And I dare say, if I may,

“Don’t worry,” doesn’t help either,

I am left in a quandary

Like a fly in the web of a spider.

 

I feel for the hearing-impaired

That cannot hear a speaker’s tone

Or the visually challenged-

Well, that’s another bone!

 

Don't Worry - Hauser and Wirth, London, UK | Love it. A neon… | Flickr

 

So, whether it is “Don’t bother,”

Or “Don’t worry,”

Please be clear in which you mean

Especially when speaking to me.

 

Or else prepare to accept

Whichever action I take,

My mood at the particular time

May not be best for your sake.

 

If you disagree with me

Don’t bother to read this poem,

However, the fact you have read this far

Could pose a problem.

 

Stewart Russell © May 24, 2023

 

No comments:

Post a Comment