Friday, December 16, 2022

A Lot O’ Foolish Money

 

Thomas Tusser - A fool and his money are soon parted.

 

A lot o’ foolish money!

And I don’t mean the lottery,

I mean the amount of cash we spend

For the Christmas festivity.

 

We give to people that have

While overlooking the ones in need;

To them that have feeding options

Instead of who struggle for a feed.

 

We throw as it were,

Plenty of water into the sea

While the desperately deserted

Suffer continually.

 

Thomas Tusser - A fool and his money are soon parted.

 

A lot of foolish money

We spend at Christmas time

Giving foolish money to the rich

And even standing in line.

 

Christmas is about spending

And spending all we have

On ourselves, our family and friends

And I have a feeling that is bad.

 

It is the season of goodwill

But I ask goodwill to whom

Because as far as I am concerned

Christmas is a merchant boom.

 

They rake in the money,

The foolish money that we spend

And when we are out to the baller

They even agree to lend.

 

Thomas Tusser - A fool and his money are soon parted.

 

I get jumped this morning

For I recognized I am guilty too

But for a while I have been trying

To change that foolish view.

 

It is money down the drain

That we long for in January

When the payday seems so far away

It gives us cause to worry.

 

There is nothing wrong with enjoying

Some of the sweets and comfort

But spare a thought for the needy

That have little support.

 

Barbados Water Authority - Water Consultants in The Pine, St. Michael |  FindYello

 

I know of a serious case

Where tenants’ water is turned off,

Apparently, the owner owes the BWA

And that is the tenants’ loss.

 

If this is not your case

You are very fortunate indeed,

You have running water at Christmas

But some are in dire need.

 

Put a little more, if you can,

In the Salvation Army pot

Even though to you that might seem

To be only a drop.

 

Red kettle stolen from The Salvation Army of Danville

 

A dripping tap fills a bucket

Drop by drop by drop

And overnight you will have discovered

Your drop helped make up the lot.

 

That is the trend I will pursue

Starting from today

And hopefully I can sustain it

Even after Christmas Day.

 

Stewart Russell © December 16, 2022

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment