Thursday, September 22, 2022

Inflation and Shrinkflation

 


27 of the Most Extreme Shrinkflation Examples, From Pringles to Cereal

 

Can you believe it?

Shrinkflation is a word,

Not only a word but a practice,

By now you’ve probably heard.

 

Surely, you’ve heard of inflation

No doubt you feel its pinch,

As for me, I can tell you,

I feel like we’ve been lynched.

 

Prices are on the upward trend

And not by just a few cents,

Fleece them of all their money

Is the merchants’ bent.

 

When a tax relief is promised

It appears they up their prices

And the move is counter-productive

Thus, exacerbating our crisis.

 

I’m still waiting for the reduction

Promised some weeks ago

But I won’t dare hold my breath

For the outcome you’d know.

 

You would read of my obit

And no doubt you’d be sad

But when you hear the reason why,

I’m sure you won’t feel so bad.

 

Inflation is the norm

But shrinkflation? What is that?

I will take some time to explain

But for a while it’s been a fact.

 

You see, while the prices go up

The product quantity takes a pitch,

New designs on their containers

And the fluid ounces take a dip.

 

 

 Shrinkflation' affecting package sizes but not prices

 

A narrower neck or waist

As in the coke-bottle shape,

It’s now easier to hold the container

But this reason is not great.

 

Or, the product yields a little less,

It takes more to do the job

And if one is not easily fooled,

He knows he has been robbed.

 

Quantity as well as quality deflates

Hence, shrinkflation is deflation

And it is in no way rocket science

To discern there is shrinkflation.

 

Bear this in mind, my friend

When you go to do your shopping,

Watch for “deception shrinkflation”

For patrons taking a knocking.

 

It is true we cannot win

And money does not taste good

But there are more robbers around

Than those that wear a hood.

 

Inflation and Shrinkflation

Opposites that go together,

For the merchant, a dream come true,

For you and me, a colossal bother.

 

Stewart Russell © August 31, 2022

 

No comments:

Post a Comment