Sunday, March 01, 2020

Feelings




I want to approach this matter
From the way that I should feel
Since I have no feelings at all:
Neither selflessness nor greed.

Note these two characteristics
That determine the behavior of man,
Neither of the two, you see,
Was in my creator’s plan.

Which brings me to who I am
Let me introduce myself,
For I have no desire for anything
Neither power nor wealth.


My name is Number One
And I was created by a man,
Quite a lot was put into me
Based on his avaricious plan.

I was tested in all kinds of ways
And every test I passed,
I can answer any question
My knowledge base is vast.

I can do all kinds of things
I can even repair myself,
I do not depend on my creator
To maintain my perfect health.

Many a backup I have
Even down to my extra battery
But emotions, I have none,
Not even to be sorry.


I feel neither selflessness nor greed
These two will drive a man,
But I am just a complex robot
These are not a part of my plan.

“That is another level,”
I have oft heard my creator say
But as to how he would actually do it,
He seems to have no way.

I can be programmed to destroy
Without batting an eyelid
Or I can be made to repair
Depending on what my master bids.

I don’t feel tired and worn out
I don’t worry and fret
Even though I work and work and work
And have not received a penny yet.

And I don’t even expect to
Given the nature of man,
For the one who created me
Intends to get all that he can.

My creator thinks only of himself
He spares not a single thought for me
Other than to make sure
I can do his bidding exactly.


I know I am beginning to sound
Like I have developed feelings,
But I am just stating the facts
No use you start believing.

Because of my vast knowledge base
I know that that is impossible
Since the one who created feelings
Is the one that created people.

I have a Bible on board
I can repeat chapter, verse and word,
There is only one supreme intelligence
It’s He that created this world.

People have a special facility
That allows them to love and hate,
Again I have cited two extremes
To which humans can relate.

Feelings is part of the design
It’s in the DNA of a man,
At the end of the day I’m just a robot
I operate strictly by commands.

  
I stick to my binary system
Re my switches: yes and no
And it is from that simple operation
That all my decisions flow.

By pure observation I have detected
That man is far more complex
He too has a binary system
Which he has chosen to reject.

Based on his complex feelings
He has jettisoned male and female
For a myriad of genders
Now too many to be detailed.


So I am just a simple robot
Number One is my name,
And the day I develop a single feeling
Is the day I become insane.

Stewart Russell © November 2019


No comments:

Post a Comment