Thursday, March 26, 2020

For Such a Time as This




Image result for images for Esther 4:14

She is not my favourite person,
Understand that I mean the PM
But I must confess I am impressed
With her handling of this problem.

I do not say this grudgingly
But I had to paint the background
So you’d understand that I write this poem
From my heart, and deep down.

With some things, I don’t agree
Considering her over all rule
But I get the clear impression here of late
She is being the Master’s tool.

Image result for images for Esther chapter 4

I need to turn to the Holy Book
And from there explain to you
Why, contrary to my previous position,
I now hold this present view.

In the book named after a queen
Here are some words you should not miss:
“And who knows whether you are come to the kingdom
For such a time as this?”

A foreigner in the land was she
And her people were held captive,
A decree was sought from a certain source
For her people to die and not live.

Image result for images for Esther chapter 4

When she heard of the wicked scheme
She placed her life on the line
And ventured to talk to the king
Though uninvited at that time.

To make a long story short
With the help of God, she succeeded,
And the conspirators of the wicked deed
Were utterly defeated.

Image result for images for Esther chapter 4

The name of the queen was Esther
For the Jews she saved the day,
By simply following her spiritual advisor,
She was able to do it God’s way.

Too often we look at the person
Instead of what’s vested in him
And because of our personal preference
Our perspective of the situation is dim.

 Image result for images for Mia Amor Mottley

Who knows whether Mia Amor Mottley
Has come to our Parliament for this?
For while I have a preference for male leadership,
In Parliament, there’s a dearth on my list.

So let’s put aside our differences,
Be they political, gender or otherwise,
And together, for the betterment of Barbados,
From our selfish agendas arise.

There is much, too much at stake,
To ignore the work that’s being done,
So, together with our hardworking PM,
Let us march to the beat of the drum.

Maybe, just maybe,
 She has come to the kingdom
For such a time as this.

Stewart Russell © March 2020


No comments:

Post a Comment