Tuesday, March 10, 2020

A Major Consolation in A Minor Accident





It’s the minor accidents, I note,
That protect us from the major ones,
I picked up this truth only today
Just about two hours after dawn.

I was working on a poem
When I heard a glass drop on the counter,
I soon came to know it was broken
But for me it became a prompter.

It is true it was a special glass
The last of four I had bought,
Not one of them was broken by me
And as such I should have become distraught.


But in it I saw a consolation
In that this was something minor,
That was my prompter throughout the day
To try to avoid something major.

Had that minor accident not happened
I might not have geared up to be careful
But from the moment that it happened
My guard was up in full.

This also occurs with near misses
When we are driving on the road,
It often takes just about one narrow escape
To keep us from being too bold.


I am glad the offender was not cut
By the glass that he or she dropped
Although of my four special glasses that remain
The number now stands at nought.

Stewart Russell © March 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment