Wednesday, March 11, 2020

No Welcome Mat, Please


Image result for images for not welcome
A visitor is coming
He is coming to our shores,
It is not a matter of “if”
But “when” means it’s for sure.

We are becoming apprehensive,
We don’t want him to come
For there is quite a bit of news around
Concerning what he has done.

We are doing our best to prepare
Like for an impending hurricane,
For when he does arrive
He will bring all kinds of pain.

This pain will be at all levels
At the physical and the social
The emotional will be paramount
For most, if not all people.
 
Already we are seeing some panic
In our pharmacies and supermarkets
And some people do not believe
That the visitor is not here yet.

Business is falling off
People don’t want to take chances,
Their eyes and ears are opened
As this unwelcome visitor advances.

There are many news sources
Some credible and some are not
But they are going viral
As this visitor continues his plot.

Image result for images for washing hands 
He started at a far-off country
Now he is drawing near
And there is no doubt in the experts’ mind
That one day soon he will appear.


I fear for the babies and the elderly
To me these are the most vulnerable,
Add to these the sick and absent minded:
These are the most susceptible.

It appears his visits are costly
As a matter of fact, even before he arrives,
Especially in countries like our own
Where tourism the economy drives.

I am trying my best to stay calm
And do the best that I can do:
Like washing my hands at every turn
And avoiding the panic crew.

I am trying to break a habit
I have had for a very long time,
Keeping my hands away from my face
Is now preoccupying my mind.

I am not going to name this visitor
He is known by all of you
But this I will say, though you are aware,
He is not the ordinary flu.

There is speculation re his origin
The rumours and theories are rife,
But one thing that is far from rumour,
He is known for ending one’s life.

So, seeing I have only got one
And not a spare one to fall back on,
I will protect this life with all I’ve got
And only stop when I am gone.

Image result for images for not welcome

No welcome mat, if you please,
And no red carpet to be laid down,
No “We Gatherin’” for him in Barbados,
We don’t want him coming ‘round.

Stewart Russell © March 2020


No comments:

Post a Comment