Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Death



Death reconsidered | Scienceline
 

I am intrigued about death
Of course, not my own,
I think about it most often
Especially when I am alone.

I think about it at night
Much more than in the day
And note even over Christians
It still holds sway.

I examine its prevalence
And it appears more often at night,
Your experience might be different
Mine doesn’t have to be right.
 
 Death reconsidered | Scienceline
 
Death is distinct from dying
Let us not confuse the two
One you will never experience
But the other one you do.

I am not talking nonsense
Just think of what I have said,
One will never experience death
Surely not if he is dead.

Experiences end at death
Whether one is a Christian or not,
It is one hundred percent effective
In bringing this life to a stop.

We speculate about after
And that is the best we can do
But into the immediate afterlife
We are short on that preview.

Death reconsidered | Scienceline

The little that has been given
Causes much debate
And this indicates uncertainty
About the dead’s immediate state.

Dying is different from death
A person can know he is dying
And some in quest of a little more time
May even appear to be trying.

I am not intrigued with dying
And would rather not be conscious,
To die in my sleep is a good way to go
I consider that rather precious.

The challenge is for those that remain
Especially if they didn’t expect it,
What a peaceful way to pass away!
What a wonderful peaceful exit!

Stewart Russell © November 2019

1 comment:

  1. I think about it too. Not that I am afraid but I long to know what it will be like. I can only speculate on death but this I know that whether I live or die I am the Lord's. I am confident you take a similar view.

    ReplyDelete