Thursday, February 06, 2020

An Odd Number Indeed




Today is the day
I dare not turn around my age,
Some people do 
When they reach another stage.

It makes them younger
Or so they believe,
So sixty-five would be fifty-six
In their attempt to deceive.

The age above might work 
As opposed to sixty-one and sixteen,
Such would be too far fetch
Since they are way past their teens.

To do that would make me older
By exactly nine years
Though some would dare to say,
That is as old as I appear.

My brother fits nicely here
Being nine years older than me,
If I turn around my age
I would be as old as he.

So I am satisfied with my age
I don’t have to turn it around
And to tell you the truth,
My mental faculties are sound.
You might not believe that
But it is the precise truth
And this very poem I am writing
Bears evidentiary proof.

So stop the silly giggling,
It is not befitting you
Cause you know just like I do
That what I am saying is true.

Sixty-seven today
Nowhere near seventy-six
So I dare not turn around my age,
That would put me in a fix.

I give God praise and thanks
For these sixty-seven short years,
Short years instead of long
Since time just disappears. 
  
And staying with the odd number
Sixty-seven, I mean,
I’ll make this poem eleven verses
And keep the odd number theme.

Stewart Russell © February 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment