Thursday, September 12, 2019

A Plaintive Plea



 
I’m losing my sense of humour
That’s how it seems to me,
It’s not because I’m getting old
It’s that people won’t let me be.

I just like to see people laugh
And that’s why I joke a lot
But it appears to me these days
I should be what I am not.


Faces are clouded with sadness
The sunshine has gone away,
Night has crept in its stead
And stolen the joy of the day.

The youthful lines are replaced
With wrinkles, not from smiles,
Glumness like the garden weeds
Now stretches for many a mile.


No time for humour now
Please note my serious outlook,
You are the cause of that change
You have altered my book.


How I yearned to fill its pages
With the humour I possessed
But you have ripped the pages out
And all that is left, is stress.

I had promised not to let people
Determine my outlook or mood
But after a short-lived success,
I have dropped into their groove.



One’s sense of humour is a gift
To brighten another’s day,
To ease that tension from the face
Which so easily get in the way.

I know that life is serious
To think otherwise, I’d be a fool
But to let it be so overwhelming
To me, that is just not cool.
  
I may have gone overboard
With my humour at some time
When you were dealing with something
That weighed heavily on your mind.



For that, I truly apologise,
I wish I had known back then
But don’t rob me of my humour,
Just help me to know when.

I’m losing my sense of humour
Please! Help me stop the drain,
There is a role for the sunshine,
It works really well with the rain.

Stewart Russell © August 2019




1 comment: