Sunday, January 06, 2019

Once A Wandering Sheep




464 Lost Sheep Photos - Free & Royalty-Free Stock Photos from Dreamstime
 
 
Like a sheep I wandered
I couldn’t find the fold,
I was hunted by the enemy
And he tormented my soul.

Unkempt and bedraggled
My own stench offended,
Pretentious and unreal
Into the crowd I blended.

It was mighty horrible
Especially in the night,
In my heart I was mindful
I was losing the fight.

A good face in the the day
Nightmares during the night,
However I twisted or tuned
It didn’t feel right.

I tried all types of pasture
That temporarily satisfied
And that genuine satisfaction
I was constantly denied.


I called out and I screamed,
“Somebody, please help!”
But none seemed to understand
The misery I felt.

It was then I realized
That none like me could help,
They too were in jeopardy
And felt what I also felt.

The tumult about me was loud,
I could hardly hear me think
And with every failure I met
My heart would further sink.

But then I heard a voice
It was not at all loud,
It came right through to me
Above the tumult of the crowd.

  
So soft and unlike the rest
Yet penetrating all my fears,
“Come to me my little sheep.”
It was said with tender care.

This was very strange indeed
From what I was accustomed to
But the owner of that voice said,
“My little sheep, I mean you.”

“Who are you?” I heard me ask,
To which the voice replied,
“I am the Shepherd of the fold
Inviting you to come inside.”

I had been at this point before
But I feared I couldn’t measure up,
Don’t you bother,” he said to me,
“I have taken your bitter cup.”


For sin he did not have
To die a death I could not die,
He gave me a life I could not live
And told me on him to rely.

All of him and nothing of me
Nothing to give in exchange,
But all he asked was all of me
And even that he did arrange.

With such an offer I did accept
And that, after a while, I admit
But I’m no more a wandering sheep
And in heavenly places I sit.

An heir and joint heir
With my heavenly King,
Thank God this sheep
Can lift his voice and sing…


Hallelujah I have found him
My Shepherd my Saviour my Lord,
No longer a wandering sheep
I am kept by his precious Word.

Stewart Russell © January 2019



No comments:

Post a Comment