Friday, September 28, 2018

Who I Am




Tell me why it is
That whenever we are asked
Who we are
We give a name.

We treat to a name
As though it’s a summary
Hence good name and bad name
That’s the game.

So that if my name
Just happens to be you know who
Then I take on his importance,
Is that your view?

If he is a criminal
Then I am just as bad
But if he is important
I would be a good lad.


Does a name make a person?
Does a name make a man?
Is a name all one is?
Is that God’s plan?

There are some who feel
All Russell’s are family
But even if that’s so
Does it shape my destiny?

The correct response
To who you are
Cannot be a name,
That is wrong by far.

Don’t get me wrong
One’s name is key,
Certainly it’s important
Regarding one’s identity.

I am more than a name
Or a mere statistic,
I am a family member
With certain characteristics.

  
I am unique, yes
There’s not another me,
Not in the past or present
Or in the future will be.

My name doesn’t make me
I impact my name
And whether I am good or bad
I am to blame.

I could be a bad Russell
While the others are good,
Who a person is
Is even more than just blood

So that neither name nor blood
Determines who I am,
I could be a good person
From a very notorious clan.

Examine my conduct
Before me you criticize,
Because of my name
You should not me despise.

Though it may appear
The Russell’s is a good name
A couple years from now
It might not be the same.

For the good legacy left
May not be carried on,
As of the generations now
None maybe around: no not one.


It’s critical therefore
That we know who we are
Not simply by name
But more than that by far.

For who we really are
We will more than likely pass on
For generations to emulate
Long after we have gone.

We are a family,
A creed and a clan
And raising godly seed
That’s the Creator’s plan.

Who am I?
I am a child of God,
I am more than a name,
Time to spread that abroad.

Stewart Russell © January 2018



No comments:

Post a Comment