Tuesday, September 11, 2018

My Insane Cat




Over and under
Across and back
Chasing his tail
Was my little black cat.

When he had caught it
He gave it a bite
Then meowed so loudly
He gave me a fright.

Unaware the tail was his
He chased it again,
Again he caught and bit it
And meowed in pain.

This time I laughed
To me it was a joke
My little black cat
Was a silly old goat.

Third time in a row
He chased his tail
I knew he had caught it
For I heard the wail.

I studied that cat
Was he for real?
By now he should know
That is his tail.


How many more times
Must he experience pain?
I concluded there and then
My cat must be insane.

I made up my mind
And the date was set,
I felt it was time
That my cat saw a vet.


The vet who was a fat
And a humorous old man
Took one look at Kittie
And said, “I have a plan.
  
Your cat’s not the first,
Cats have done this before,
They bit their tails
Until their tails were no more.

But my plan will work
I’m sure it will,
It’s highly unlikely
He will chase his tail still.”


“Will it be costly?”
I asked this humorous man.
“You’ll pay for the visit
But nothing for the plan.

You go on home
I’ll deliver him to you.”
So I went on home
Without the slightest clue.

I wish he had told me
What he had planned to do
For when I saw my cat
I became quite blue.

I was startled by a horn
Then I heard a door slam,
Up the long drive way
Walked the humorous man.

Hugged to his chest
Was my little black cat,
He seemed quite contented
And that is a fact.


He set him on the floor
And I noticed a hump
And right where his tail was
There was a stump.

“In my years of research,”
I heard the old vet say,
“This has always worked,
It’s the only way.

This surgical procedure
Does it every time,
The only side effect is
He may start to pine.

He’ll miss his tail
But he won’t chase it again,
No chance of biting it
And no chance of pain.”

It was quite funny though
The way it would end,
My cat still chased his tail
Yes, believe it my friend.


I went back to the vet
To have the surgery reversed
And there I saw my cat’s tail
In alcohol immersed.

I told him it didn’t work
He still chased his tail
So as far as I was concerned
His plan had failed.

“Ah but he doesn’t bite it
I am quite sure,
I’ll refund half the money
I can do no more.

But I have a suggestion
I will give it to you
Seek a second opinion
That is my view.”

“You don’t mean another vet,”
Was what I replied.
“No, not at all,
A psychiatrist is what I’d advise.

Japanese Bobtail Black with White

Your cat chases a tail
And that tail doesn’t exist
You want back his tail
And you even insist.

I conclude you are mad
And your cat is insane,
You both need a psychiatrist
To me that is plain.”

Stewart Russell © February 2018



No comments:

Post a Comment