Friday, July 17, 2015

The Bible in Poetry: The Teachings of Jesus 1


 
Extracted from the Bible In Poetry

From Genesis to Revelation

The Teachings of Jesus 1

Image result for images for Christ's teaching
 
But more I’ll tell of his teachings I’m sure you must agree,
They always were instructive and he never charged a fee;
The disciples receiving his tuition hung on his every word,
The crowds listening to him wondered at what they heard.

Once he went through Samaria found a woman at a well,
She marveled at what he said and about her life did tell;
She said she had no husband in a sense she told the truth,
But she had had five husbands Jesus supplied the proof.

He asked her for a drink; she said what he already knew,
That she was a Samaritan and would not deal with a Jew;
He had asked her for water but offered an eternal spring,
A well of water springing up of that she would want to sing.

Off to her village she ran, “Come and see a man,” said she,
That told me all I ever did and I know the Messiah is he;
Meanwhile the disciples told him do have something to eat,
But to do God’s will and finish His work that to Him was meat.

Nicodemus was a teacher he came to Jesus one night,
Something he knew was wrong but couldn’t put it right;
You see Nicodemus had fame and he also had a name,
But Jesus told him that night that he must be born again.

“Must I go back into my mother and come again?” he asked,
You and I know good Master that is an impossible task.”
That which is flesh is flesh and that which is spirit is spirit,
Nicodemus had been a teacher but needed to get with it.
 
Image result for images of Nicodemus


A woman was brought to him she was caught in adultery,
She must be stoned they said, ‘tis Moses’ law, you agree?
“Let him that is without sin,” Jesus said, “throw at her a stone,”
When the woman looked around they were standing all alone.

Absent were her accusers for all of them had fled,
“Neither do I condemn you go and sin no more,” he said.
Before God all are guilty of the sin that was inherited,
Then the sin we dabble in and the sin we have committed. 
 

Image result for images of the woman caught in adultery


A ruler question Jesus how eternal life he might obtain,
Jesus told him to keep the law and do all that it contain;
He said but that I have done, isn’t there something more?
Jesus told him follow me, give what you have to the poor.

What Jesus asked was too much no way he could obey,
He was a very wealthy man and sorrowfully turned away;
It’s more difficult for a camel to go through a needle’s eye,
Than it is for the rich to enter heaven however hard they try.

Once a lawyer asked him which in the law is the greatest,
Not that he wanted to know but rather Jesus would test;
Love God with all your heart and everyone as you love you,
On these the law and prophets spoke; this was nothing new.

But always lurking near around were the stinging bees,
Study God’s word and you’d see these were the Pharisees;
They felt they knew the law none knew it better than they,
Wherever Jesus could be found they would have their say.

He called them hypocrites they couldn’t discern the times,
But had a great obsession of requiring of him more signs;
The next sign would be he said that of Jonah the prophet,
Showing his death at Calvary much to the disciples’ regret.
 
Once Peter, James and John were taken on a mount apart,
And what they saw that day really touched their heart;
Jesus was transfigured before them his face shone as light,
Never in the disciples’ life had they seen such a sight.

There on that day they saw Moses and Elijah, two men,
Speak of Jesus’ death to be accomplished at Jerusalem;
Three tabernacles said Peter in his usual haste and fuss,
Then there came a cloud and after they saw only Jesus.

Trouble not your heart he said believe in God and in me,
I go to prepare a place so that with me you’ll always be;
Thomas told him on that day we know not where you go,
He, the way the truth and life was all they needed to know.

For they that knew the Lord should know the Father also,
Philip still was not convinced, more he wanted to know;
They that have seen me they have seen the Father too,
For I am in the Father and the Father in me is true.

Whatever you shall ask in my name that for you I will do,
That the Father be glorified in me and be glorified in you;
I must return to the Father but don’t be unduly bothered,
For once I go away My Father will send the Comforter,
 
Image result for images of the coming Holy Spirit


Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive,
But you know him; he dwells with you, so just believe;
The Spirit shall be in you I shall come to you once more,
I will not leave you comfortless of this you can be sure.

My peace I give to you and my peace with you I leave,
Not the worldly kind of peace but what you have received;
The prince of this world will come; nothing in me has he,
But all will know I love the Father and His will alone I see.

Image result for images of the peace of God


 
Stewart Russell © 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment