Thursday, July 02, 2015

A Grave Matter to Ponder

Let me play with your mind for a bit,
I trust you can handle a little bit of wit;
For certainly right where you and I sit
Death for sure will make a sure hit.

Image result for images of someone pondering
 
I sometimes ponder about the dead.
Can they feel or hear what is being said?
Where are they now at this present time?
Are they in this zone or another time line?

I had an argument once with a friend
Who had said the dead knows nothing.
I asked if he could prove that to me
And he looked at me as though I was silly.
Image result for images of an argument
 
He said everyone knows that’s a fact,
The dead knows nothing and that is that.
I asked him if he has ever been dead,
He said that I had to be funny in the head.

I said, “Answer my question, you really must
Or stop pretending and making a fuss
About matters which you never knew;
Anyone can see you don’t have a clue."

Image result for images of someone who is puzzled a cartoon


He said that I know he’s never been dead
But I just wanted to confuse his head.
I said, “Not at all, I just wanted to know
If someone came back and told you so.”

At this time he was looking quite blank
But still pretended to be candid and frank;
I still pushed the point that he did not know
Unless someone came back and told him so.

Well he got heated up and began to shout,
Behaving like an infant he started to pout.
I said, “Come on man, behave, try and relax,
We are just here trying to ascertain the facts.

 Image result for images of an angry person a cartoon

Let’s try another angle see what we can find,
Let’s see if I can help you get out of this bind.
What if you had died and then come back?
Could you convince me that this is a fact?”
  
“What do you really mean?” he asked of me,
Happy for a chance to make me look silly.
“Well if you had died certainly you would be
Able to tell us all what the dead could see.”

“Ah!” he said, “That is true, very true in deed!
No doubt you would listen and take heed.”
“No way,” I said, “With you I’d still be in doubt;
You’d still have to find another way out.”

“Come on!  You’re just trying to be difficult.
Admit you have lost and accept the result.
The dead knows nothing I’d be sure to tell
Now all can see you have dug yourself a well.”

“Don’t be too fast my friend, stop and think!
I have dug the well but you stand on the brink.
The dead knows nothing is what you suppose.
You do not know.  That is what I propose.

 Image result for images of a thinking person

So suppose you were dead and now you are alive;
Follow this argument for with you I shall strive
In this grave matter right to the very end
And not rest until I have convinced you my friend."

Two different worlds of the dead and the living;
That one knows what the other does is a misgiving.
How can you say you know the dead does not know
Unless when you were dead you knew this was so?

This is without the scope of our limited brain
Even though this morbid discussion we entertain.
There are some things the living cannot grasp;
That the dead does not know is an impossible task.
Image result for images of the human brain


There's only one that was dead and is alive now,
To raise all who believe in him is his solemn vow;
Though some are dead in a while they shall live
And along with those living, eternal life he'll give. 

Image result for images of Behold I come quickly


 
Stewart Russell © 2015


No comments:

Post a Comment