Monday, January 15, 2024

Just Musing

 

Idiom of the Week – By the Skin of One's Teeth

 

He made it just in time

By the skin of one’s teeth

By a hair’s breadth he got away

What stupendous relief

 

A miss is good as a mile

That was to close for comfort

Almost is not the reality

No reply is a retort

 

He was at sixes and sevens

This one is round the bend

She has some odds and ends

He’s difficult to comprehend

 

That’s a hot potato

This one’s too hot to handle

I won’t touch it if I were you

Either way it’s a gamble

 

A penny for your thoughts

This costs an arm and a leg

Penny wise and pound foolish

A rich fool will soon beg

 

Barking up the wrong tree

 

Barking up the wrong tree

Or beating round the bush

Even hearing on the grapevine

Be careful before you rush

 

Let sleeping dogs lie

Then let the cat out of the bag

Kill two birds with one stone

Watch the doggy’s tail wag

 

At the drop of a hat

The ball is in your court

I’ll be glad to see the back of him

I’m not making sport

 

I wanted the best of both worlds

But I bit off more than I could chew

Thought it was a blessing in disguise

But suddenly I was through

 

Don’t cry over spilt milk

Or because curiosity kill the cat

Every cloud has a silver lining

In the world of tit for tat

 

What Does "Straight From The Horse's Mouth" Mean?

 

In the heat of the moment

They could not see eye to eye

But straight from the horse’s mouth

The talking horse was a lie

 

I wouldn’t be caught dead

Tasting someone’s own medicine

But I would take it with a grain of salt

And bear it with a grin

 

While one was going off his rocker

The other was on the ball

I preferred to sit on the fence

As opposed to sitting on a wall

 

Once in a blue moon - Reading Test - Ucan.vn

 

A picture paints a thousand words

So back to the drawing board I went

It was once in a blue moon

That finally I made a dent

 

In the whisker of a moment

He was whisked away

It’s time I was out of here

Before it becomes my day

 

Stewart Russell © 2016

 

No comments:

Post a Comment