Friday, January 26, 2024

In Line and Online

 

How to Pay LIC Premium Online? - Goodreturns

 

How times have changed

And how life has progressed

And what a price we are paying

Just to have a little rest!

 

In line was a discipline

That was developed at school,

From primary school days in sun and rain

Get in line was the rule.

 

Stay in your given position

And don’t you dare go out of line

Or you may feel a whack in your back

Or some heat on your behind.

 

It’s not a forbidden expletive

Just an anatomical designation

That teachers and parents often used

To get a child’s attention.

 

In line for milk and biscuits

In line when the lunch break ends,

In line to board the school bus

In line was then the trend.

 

In line to receive punishment

Usually a lash in the hand or two

Or a caning by the school principal

Leaving the butt black and blue.

 

In line to get your immunization

In line to get your tooth pulled,

In line for pleasure and in line for pain

In line there was scarcely a lull.

 

What are Sight Words? | Twinkl Teaching Wiki - Twinkl

 

It was the discipline of the time

And it gave us a sense of order

That we even practised into adult life

At home and beyond our border.

 

In line could be frustrating though

Like in line to pay a bill,

Land tax, income tax or driver’s license

Can be a difficult pill.

 

In line at the petrol station

Inhaling pungent petrol fumes

Or in certain un-named supermarkets

Where there is little room.

 

In line at the commercial banks

Standing for an inordinately long time,

In line to board public transportation

After the daily grind.

 

But a change of sorts has come

Where in line is giving way to online,

Much of this change was made necessary

When COVID plagued body and mind.

 

 

Online shopping purchases continue to rise in January - World - Business  Recorder 

 

 

Paying from the comfort of home

Working and shopping too,

Online facilitates a far better experience

For people like me and you.

 

Sometimes in line still plays a part

In frustrating me and you

Especially with certain utility services

When we have to report an issue.

 

Although we are operating on line

We sometimes have to wait in line

And the wait can be so time consuming

It can wreak havoc with our mind.

 

When you are standing in line

You know how many are before you

But online it is a different situation

And often you don’t have a clue.

 

While the customer service reps

Are busy dealing with other complaints,

You listen to some unappealing music

And learn to exercise restraint.

 

In line can play havoc with online

And cause patrons a frustrating wait

But I’d still rather online to in line

Because I get an easier break.

 

I can shop overseas if I want

Or I can peruse the local stores

And I can have the item that I ordered

Delivered right to my door.

 

Online payment rules set to change from Jan 1. All you need to know -  Hindustan Times

 

I can pay my bills on time

Be it morning, noon or night

And should I feel somewhat hungry,

I can order my favourite delight.

 

That online trumps in line

I have not the slightest doubt,

Perhaps it is time my valued reader

That you also try it out.

 

Stewart Russell © August 11, 2023

 

No comments:

Post a Comment