Monday, September 25, 2023

Today’s View of Yesterday

 

Yesterday Quotes - BrainyQuote

 

Yesterday when I did it

It seemed the smart thing to do

But today on reflection

Forces me to change my view.

 

Today is a bird’s eye view

Of what transpired yesterday,

Hind sight is twenty-twenty vision

I’ve heard wise people say.

 

The ability to step outside oneself

And look in at one’s situation

Is far easier said than done

For any generation.

 

For the young as well as the old

All have fallen short of this

And in spite of the hard lessons

There’s still a mighty long list.

 

Stand Up Quotes - BrainyQuote

 

For we are prone to repeat

Our disappointing yesterdays

Just like history repeats itself

In so many diverse ways.

 

And the lament is often the same

“If only I had known…”

The anguished cry of many a heart,

In this I am not alone.

 

Today’s bird’s eye view of yesterday

Still falls agonizingly short

Such that I am unable to go back

And my ill behavior forever abort.

 

That is why yesterday when I did it

It had seemed a smart thing to do

But today I am feeling stupid

And you’d feel stupid too.

 

Stewart Russell © April 6, 2021

 

No comments:

Post a Comment