Monday, September 11, 2023

Patiently Waiting

 

Steven Wright - There's a fine line between fishing and...

 

 I was patiently waiting

For the good things to come

My mind set on the proverb

But I felt strangely dumb.

 

“Good things,” it stated,

“Come to those who wait”

And like forever I was there

Just standing at the gate.

 

Many passed me by

And I shouted, “Can’t you wait?”

But they did not seem to see me

Standing by the gate.

 

Open Gates of Opportunity | MissionNext Home

 

I was patiently waiting

For the good things to come

My mind set on the proverb

But waiting seemed dumb.

 

Many were getting through

While I was standing there

Yet, while I was patiently waiting,

I was going nowhere.

 

Suddenly it occurred to me

“But what are you doing?

You are simply standing still

When you should be moving.”

 

I turned my head to see

But not a soul was around

And right at that moment

I felt like a clown.

 

Here I was waiting patiently

And just standing still,

Like a body that is alive

But clearly possessing no will.

 

No “get-up-and-go”

After the good things I desire

But just waiting patiently-

Just waiting to expire.

 

How misleading this proverb

About those who wait!

Had I not awakened

I would still be at the gate.

 

Quotes - "MAKE HAY WHILE THE SUN SHINES." | Old quotes, Wall quotes,  Sunshine

 

“Make hay,” I must hastily add

“While the sun shines,”

For while you wait patiently

You may be in the wrong line.

 

Add to your patience

Some sweat and determination

And the good things will come

Is my summation.

 

Stewart Russell © March 25, 2021

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment