Saturday, July 29, 2023

Law, Order and the Constitution

 

Constitutional Reform Commission Members Sworn In | GIS

 

I knew a Patrick once-

My brother-in-law was he,

Gone these past sixteen years

But still in our memory.

 

So wonderful was he

We still missed him sorely,

He was very law-abiding too

And so, respectably.

 


Every time I hear Patrick

I remember my brother-in-law,

He too, like you and me

Was not without a flaw.

 

Where am I going with this?

By now you’re surely wondering,

Stay alert a little longer,

Now’s not the time for slumbering.

 

I know of another Patrick

But this one is a King,

With him I currently differ,

From different pages we sing.

 

Since we became a republic

We have been Constitution-less,

It is Patrick’s assessment

That Barbados is Law-less.

 

He has therefore become

A law unto himself

And as far as he is concerned

The Law now sits on a shelf.

 

“People”, as he often says,

He could not be more wrong,

So, beware, I warn you of Patrick

Who is both wrong and strong.

 

He is “adamant”,

You would recall that PM

Who may or may not have regretted

The message he decided to send.

 

Well, a good man he was

But he lost the Government in ’94,

And if Patrick continues to rant

He stands to lose much more.

 

We are in a mess, I agree,

But not in proportions of anarchy,

We have a Legislative and Judiciary

And a Police Constabulary.

 

All three are still functional

In our republic they’re still the same

So, Patrick needs to humble

Or else he’ll go insane.

 

And a word to his adherents:

Be careful who you follow,

Selfish and unbridled motivation

Can make a person shallow.

 

 Credit Union Threatening Legal Action Against Activist Patrick King -  Starcom Network

 

I trust not so in Patrick’s case

Thus, I pray he soon wakes up,

The last alleged episode he reported

Tells me he is running out of luck.

 

Stewart Russell © July 29, 2023

 

No comments:

Post a Comment