Friday, June 16, 2023

Majority Rules! Really?

 

Majority Rules? - YouTube

 

This morning I got to thinking

Regarding something we often say:

“The majority rules!”

But really, it never held sway.

 

I am not “off my rocker”

Just give me a chance to explain,

I know that I am only one

But let us examine this claim.

 

That we live in a democracy

Is felt by the majority of citizens

But, particularly here of late,

I have detected a problem.

 

It has been there all along

But this crack is widening fast

And from where I sit it appears

Democracy is already past.

 

There is a crick in every system

Or a twist you’d rather me say,

It’s becoming worse in democracy

As apathy gets in the way.

 

Barbados Today - PARLIAMENT IS IN SESSION | Facebook

 

Let me start with Parliament

That is elected by the majority vote,

Here is where the laws are passed

And this is of serious note.

 

Note the weakness of democracy

That puts leadership in a few

To handle the affairs of the people

With a narrow-minded view.

 

Thousands vote in an election

Once in every five years

To choose thirty members of parliament

To handle the country’s affairs.

 

Tell me if you can

When did thirty become a majority?

Considering our population size

Our rule is by a minority.

 

This must certainly be a flaw

In our much-vaunted democracy

Where the majority on polling day

Decides on a ruling minority.

 

 

Majority Rules? - YouTube

 

 

The majority rules: really?

Are you seriously holding to this?

I dare say if you are,

There is a lot you have missed.

 

For sure in our country Barbados

There is a lopsided view,

All thirty MP’s come from one side,

I have no doubt you knew.

 

If thirty is really the majority

Then the majority rules,

However, like me you know better

For after all, we are no fools.

 

Thirty MP’s sit in Parliament

And pass legislation left and right

Usually without any referendum

And this is not an oversight.

 

This is deliberate and by design

To show us who is ruling,

And the fact they do it repeatedly

Shows they are not fooling.

 

I could make up a list

From the last Government and this

And I am sure you would point out

Several that I’d have missed.

 

The times that they promised

They would be a referendum

But the promise was never forthcoming

And along came the legislation.

 

 

Majority Rules? - YouTube

 

 

Majority rules!  Really?

Man, give me a break!

When 30 is more than 240 000

Then the genuine will be a fake.

 

Stewart Russell © June 15, 2023

No comments:

Post a Comment