Thursday, June 29, 2023

Neighbourliness

 


 

At four different locations

I have been privileged to live

And I thank God for the neighbours

In every instant He gives.

 

First it was St Andrew

In my formative years

And back in those early times

Neighbours showed they cared.

 

Battering was a thing then

As they exchanged their produce

Your yams for my potatoes

Or anything else you choose.

 

No need to lock doors

And there was no fancy fence,

Country yards were not enclosed;

No need for pretense.

 

 


Next it was Government Hill:

More precise, Brankers Gap

And our neighbours were just as good,

This is a fact.

 

There was a shop next door

And this lady was so nice,

She would help wherever she could

And give us good advice.

 

She was a great peacemaker

And not given to rumour

With a bright twinkle in her eyes,

Able to appreciate humour.

 

I could give you some names

But that I wouldn’t do,

It really won’t make any sense

At least to most of you.

 

Eventually I married

And we moved to Christ Church,

Exceptional neighbours we had

Never once were we hurt.

 

Facelift for Wotton park | Barbados Advocate 

 

We looked out for one another

And held each other’s hand,

There in that Wotton community

Was super grand.

 

We chatted about life

And the politics of that time,

We discussed religion and cricket

And whatever came to mind.

 

One thing we did not do

Was frequent each other’s home,

There was a mutual understanding

This was our private zone.

 

We felt a sense of security

As vital information was shared,

We were all community watchmen

Demonstrating we cared.

 

We sold the house at Wotton

And we moved where we now are,

They call it the Gardens,

To be more precise, Callenders.

 

 

  

Callenders Gardens, Christ Church

Is a God-given gift,

All good things come from Him

If you catch my drift.

 

Great neighbours all around

Especially next door,

In all honesty I can only say

We couldn’t ask for more.

 

Even as I was sharing with you

I heard the telephone ring,

My neighbor was checking on me,

Isn’t that something?

 

And not my next door neigbour;

They are currently overseas

But my neighbor who is ninety-eight,

Wouldn’t you be pleased!

 

The thing about these neighbours

Is that they are all very old;

In their late eighties and nineties-

Yes, you have been told.

 

Except for a husband and wife

Residing at the end of the gap:

They are in their early eighties-

Did you get that?

 

Makes me a youngster

If you can see where I am going

For having only just turned seventy,

There’s much I am not knowing.

 

God has abundantly blessed me

With extraordinary neighbours,

How can I help by thank Him

For his continual favour!

 

Nothing like good neighbours

That make you a part of their plan,

I sincerely pray and trust today

You are as fortunate as I am.

 

Stewart Russell © June 29, 2023

 

No comments:

Post a Comment