Wednesday, April 12, 2023

The Law and the Life

 


The Better Covenant – Grace and Truth

 

The law said I must die

For the wages of sin is death

Jesus died that I might have life

Life in abundance and spiritual health

 

The law was my schoolmaster

That pointed out all my sin

Jesus was the teacher

That cleansed my soul within

 

The law was a mission impossible

I could never ever achieve

Jesus accomplished that mission

From its task I’ve been relieved

 

The law could show me my sin

But could not help me avoid it

Jesus filled my heart

And righteousness became my habit

 

The law was bent on punishment

For all that disobeyed

Jesus showed me forgiveness

And leads along life’s way

 

The law was an ancient document

Written on tablets of stone

Jesus is the law of my heart

For my soul his blood atoned

 

The Better Covenant – Grace and Truth

 

The law was to bring me to Christ

He is the Saviour of the World

Jesus is the only Saviour

And I take him at his word

 

The law could not sympathise

Every time I had fallen short

Jesus knows my every weakness

And me he calmly exhorts

 

The law was unable to save

Even though some in it did boast

Jesus is my eternal solution

And he saved me to the uttermost

 

The law could never satisfy

Even though frequently repeated

Jesus satisfies my every need

And for me that matter is completed

 

The law was unable to secure

My place in the heavenly throng

Jesus wrote my name in heaven’s book

After forgiving all my wrong

 

The Law and the Covenant: Moses | SchoolWorkHelper

 

The law was merely a shadow

Just a sign of those things to come

Jesus became the fulfillment

And my entry to the heavenly kingdom

 

The law was just a type

It was not the end all of God’s dealing

Jesus is the only prototype

My salvation in the Christ revealing

 

The law dealt out death

But yet pointed me to the Life

Who for all of time eliminated death

Through his once for all sacrifice.

 

Stewart Russell © June 23, 2022

 

No comments:

Post a Comment