Tuesday, April 18, 2023

The Bridge

 

We Are Mists and Marvels: Weighing the Beauty and Brevity of Life |  Desiring God

 

In the valley of decision

How long I could not tell

The walls were steep beside me

I knew I was not doing well

 

Many people were around me

They struggled like I did

And when I reached out to them

It appeared they ran and hid

 

A few would talk to me

I could see they meant well

But even in their best efforts

My fears they did not quell

 

It seemed I’d reached a bridge

And yet there was nothing there

I asked how could this be

For it was really weird

 

It had become very misty

A huge fog covered the place

Of the people who were with me

I couldn’t see a single face

 

This bridge was unlike any

That I’d ever had to cross

To do so on my own

I knew that I would be lost

 

But there I was and alone

Standing on a ridge

And barely visible before me

There was this peculiar bridge

 

I saw no rails to hold to

Its way was straight and narrow

And to both of its sides

The drop was far from shallow

 

There was no possible way

That one would get across

For the slightest contrary wind

Off that bridge he’d be tossed

 

What to do was the question

My mind had posed to me

As I stood transfixed and pondered

The solution to my quandary

 

I couldn’t go back the road I came

That time had passed away

It was as though if you permit me

Trying to bring back yesterday

 

It’s impossible there’s no doubt

To go back the way one came

Life doesn’t have that mechanism

To go back and come again

 

James 4:14 Here Today And Gone Tomorrow — Tell the Lord Thank You

 

Understood backwards but lived forward

Is the way someone put it

So if that’s what Satan offers

It’s a most depressing trick

 

I could continue on my way

A certain fall from off the ridge

Or I could take the other choice

And attempt to cross the bridge

 

Well, I chose the bridge

Or better the bridge chose me

And as I called for help to cross over

That help came instantly

 

Two nailed scarred hands reached out

And held me by my hand

Come on my child a voice had said

This is your Father’s plan

 

I am still walking that bridge

My hand is in the Master’s hand

Faith is the rails on either side

That leads to the promise land

 

Stewart Russell © January 2018

 

No comments:

Post a Comment