Saturday, July 30, 2022

I Am Not That Bright

 



Concerning the poems I write

I am not that bright,

To take the credit for them

Just does not seem right.

 

The ability is not my own

It must have been given to me,

Nothing originates with me

I am just a conduit, you see.

 

All that is required of me

Is to keep the channel open,

I am like an electric wire

I do not make it happen.

 

Recently I was complimented,

It could have gone to my head

But I quickly checked myself,

Giving God the praise instead.

 

I would be plagiarizing

If I took to myself the credit,

Like when I knew no better

That would be my habit.

 

But there is nothing that I have

That I did not receive,

I am so glad that this critical point

I have come to believe.

 

I know you will see my name

At the end of each poem I write,

But I am not trying to impress you

That I am really that bright.

 

There are many conduits,

They are not one and the same

And so at the end of my poems

You will see my name.

 

Feel free to use all of them

In any way you deem fit,

There is no copyright infringement

I am just the conduit.

 


 

If you don’t acknowledge me

It would not make me sad,

The fact that the poem is being used

Is what makes me glad.

 

If you take the credit

You would have to deal with that,

A conscience that is not working

Is a very frightening fact.

 

Remember this if nothing else:

I am not that bright,

Hence, neither you nor I should take

The credit for the poems I write.

 

Stewart Russell © September 2019

 

No comments:

Post a Comment