Sunday, July 17, 2022

A Church Member’s Worth

 

The Wesleyan Holiness Church Barbados District - YouTube 

What is a church member’s worth?

Pray, can someone please tell?

Is it standard across the board?

Are they all encouraged to gel?

 

Before I move on any further

Please, I beg you, do understand

That the church of which I speak

Is not the one triumphant, grand.

 

I need not ask this question

Concerning the Church of Christ

For its members are infinitely valued

On account of his sacrifice.

Nazarene Logo Wide T - Church Of The Nazarene Logo Clipart (#74764) -  PinClipart  

I mean the visible church

With its myriad denominational sects

Doing promotions and proselytizing

But ignoring perceived rejects.

 

Hence, this question I am asking:

What is a church member worth?

Maybe it depends on his size

And I do not mean his height or girth.

 

By size I mean his profession-

Is he a big one; is he guru?

Does he hold societal prominence?

Has he an influential view?

 

Florida Court Bans Private Doctor-Lawyer Meetings in Malpractice Cases

Is he a doctor or a lawyer?

A Cabinet Minister or economist?

Can he get the Prime Minister’s ears?

In what ways does he assist?

 

Sounds like an interview to me

To fill a vacant position,

Upon such rests the member’s worth:

Upon his secular qualification.

 

For what other reason, tell me,

Would members be treated differently?

I have looked hard and long, my friend,

But that’s pretty much what I see.

 

Except for nepotism of course,

Which we can’t completely ignore:

Biological family over church family-

Tell me, need I say more?

 

Seventh Day Adventist Logo Png , Png Download, Transparent Png ,  Transparent Png Image - PNGitem

 

What is a church member’s worth?

They ought to be worth the same:

No partiality, no bias or prejudice

Once they are bearing Jesus’ name.

 

The born-again are one in Christ Jesus,

For him, on the cross Jesus was laid,

In effect, before earth’s foundation,

His redemption price was paid.

 

Hence, the believer’s infinite worth

Is his position in Jesus Christ

For no value can ever be attached

In respect to our Saviour’s sacrifice.

New Testament Church Of God Barbados - Posts | Facebook  

What ought the church’s response be

But to treat all members the same?

After all, whatever we have received

Have been received in Jesus’ name.

 

Our time, out tithe, our talent

Have all been given to us

And therefore, what ultimately matters,

Is our position in Christ Jesus.

 

The Pharisee boasted about these three:

His time, his tithe and his talent

But the lowly and despised Publican

Knew what it was to repent.

 

His worth was elevated in Christ

While the Pharisee’s sunk to a horrible low

For our time and tithe and talent,

Mean nothing if Christ we do not know.

 

Stewart Russell © June 18, 2022

 

No comments:

Post a Comment