Wednesday, May 25, 2022

Our Behaviour

 

Jennifer L. Armentrout Quote: “People show you what they want you to see.  You have to remember that.”

 

Our behaviour is an extension

Of who we are inside,

Sometimes it’s a pretension

That’s motivated by our pride.

 

We live to impress people

More often than we think

And depending on their demand,

We can rise or even sink.

 

If they are of good character

We would most likely rise

But if they are contrary,

It may result in moral demise.

 

Our behaviour is projected

Since we often want to impress,

And in our minds, we believe

This helps us to progress.

 

Since getting on with our lives

Is our selfish ambition

We are consumed from early

With personal aspirations.

 

We determine everyday

What we want our viewers to know

And pretty often what they see

Is our little Hollywood show.

 

And, this is not unnatural,

In fact, it’s pretty much the opposite,

It is the fallen nature of man

That drives this daily habit.

 

Notice I’ve been saying “our”,

Meaning, I am also included,

I am not merely pointing fingers;

I am not that deluded.

 

I have seen myself in you

And this is mainly by observation,

It’s what you wanted me to see;

It’s your behavioural projection.

 

So that when I criticize you

I am criticizing me

And when I am annoyed with you

It is also me I see.

 

We all project behavior:

The type we want the world to see,

To propel us in our ambition

To be who we want to be.

 

 Even born-again believers

Yes! Therein is our struggle:

To impress our important others

As we live within our bubble.

 

A bubble it is; that is self!

And thus, it’s so easily inflatable,

Albeit, deceptive and illusory

And misleadingly unreliable.

 

Self-centred and self-seeking

Self-absorbed and self-assured,

Self-fulfilment our goal

Self-expression the ultimate lure.

 

Our behavior is self-driven

It is what we want to achieve,

It is influenced by our leaders:

Especially who we believe.

 

It may not be who we are

But whom we want to please,

Hence, a delusion of ourselves

That makes for greater ease.

 

So, when you see me in action

It might not be really me

But just the type of behaviour

That I presently want you to see.

 

Stewart Russell © July 2020

 

No comments:

Post a Comment