Tuesday, May 24, 2022

In Memoriam


 


 

I once had a friend

That was seldom on time

Such that when she died

We were in a bind.

 

Somebody commented

She was early to heaven

Not late as usual

Having been forgiven.

 

I won’t call her name

But I know some will guess

Especially older Carrington folk

That are still left.

 

She sang in the chorale

And was part of a duet,

I am sorry if up to this point

You haven’t guessed yet.

 

Like one of her friends

She is often on my mind,

Like her, that friend is deceased

Having completed her time.

 

 

 

They both sang in the chorale

Back in those great days

But they left us in their thirties

No longer delayed.

 

They were both thirty-seven

When they transitioned

And having been born again

Assuredly set for heaven.

 

Why they died so young

Remains a mystery to me

Other than to say their time was up

Thus, their death had to be.

 

Though they remain nameless

To them is this tribute,

They were two beautiful people

And this none can dispute.

 

I think almost every day

About saints that have passed

And of my own demise

When I’ll be in that class.

 

Stewart Russell © May 23, 2022

 


No comments:

Post a Comment