Thursday, March 24, 2022

Time for Sale

 

Time is running out hourglass concep | High-Quality Stock Photos ~ Creative  Market

 

I was out strolling

When I came upon a sign,

It was so unlike any other

It stuck in my mind.

 

Not much about the shop

That could easily be missed

But the sign in the window

Rather seemed to insist…

 

Time for Sale

In letters so bold

That in the morning sunlight

They glittered like gold.

 

I inwardly smiled,

I was more than amused,

This had to be either a joke

Or a very clever ruse.

 

I suspected it was a ploy

To get me enter therein

For it stated at the bottom

Inquire Within.

 

In what form or fashion

Could time be sold?

And who in his right mind

Would be so bold?

 

Time is running out hourglass concep | High-Quality Stock Photos ~ Creative  Market

 

I saw time as a commodity

That no one could buy

But there at that little shop

There was time in supply.

 

I felt kind of stupid

As I stood and wondered,

Should I go in or not?

I stood and I pondered.

 

“What if I did

And it was only a trick?

I would be so embarrassed

I would hurriedly exit.”

 

I walked a little way

And then I walked right back,

My curiosity was piqued

And I fell in the trap.

 

But I devised a plan

As I entered the shop

Suddenly wanting something

That I really did not.

 

“Do you sell watches?”

 I inquired at the counter,

“You came to the right place,”

Came back the answer.

 

How to Start a Watch Collection | Crown & Caliber

 

“Is that all you wanted?”

After I had selected a watch,

I had been so embarrassed

I chose one from the lot.

 

I had done so to save face

But he knew my mind,

I did not come for a watch

I had come to buy time.

 

“You’re not the first

But thank you for the sale,

The sign surely works

It has seldom failed.”

 

I bought me some time

In the form of a watch

But still did not increase

The time I've got.

 

Stewart Russell © November 25, 2021

 

No comments:

Post a Comment