Wednesday, July 07, 2021

An Enlightening Fall

 

Worker sues telescopic ladder distributor Regal Ideas for alleged brain  injury | Pennsylvania Record

 

When I heard the shout

The man had tumbled down,

I knew from ever since

That he was a clown.

 

A ball was on the roof

Some children knocked it there,

They were playing cricket

And the ball disappeared.

 

A youngster came and said

The ball was on the roof,

I told him he would get it later

And that was the gospel truth.

 

My husband had overheard

And told me of his plan,

He could not be thinking right

He had to be a foolish man.

 

‘Cause from when he was a boy

He was afraid of heights,

I said to him there and then

“You want to give me a fright?”

 

He waited till the boys were gone

And went under the cellar,

Next thing you know

I heard him take out the ladder.

 

He leaned it on the house

And up the ladder he climbed,

He paused at the very top

And then gingerly took his time.

 

He stepped off upon the roof

And my fears instantly went away,

I decided there and then

This must be his lucky day.

 

We were married for forty years

And not once had he done that,

He had an intense fear of heights

Both he and I knew that fact.

 

He threw down the ball to me

And then started his descent,

All of a sudden he slipped

And off the ladder he went.

 

Worker sues telescopic ladder distributor Regal Ideas for alleged brain  injury | Pennsylvania Record

 

I can’t tell whose shout was loudest

Whether his or mine,

All I know is in a split second

He was flat on his behind.

 

All of a sudden he was laughing

As if the whole thing was a joke,

I told him it wasn’t funny

And asked him, “Are You a goat?”

 

What if you had broken your neck

What would you have said?”

He replied, “I should have used my head

And listen to you, instead.”

 

I couldn’t believe what I heard

He actually admitted I was right,

That’s something he had never done

Neither morning, noon or night.

 

“But then it would be too late,”

I said, “Because you would be dead.”

It is only at this point

That I realized what I had said.

 

He looked at me incredulously

And said, “Never, never again.

To admit in death that you were right

Would surely drive me insane.”

 

Stewart Russell © November 2019

 

No comments:

Post a Comment