Wednesday, July 14, 2021

According to Micah


 

Here is a quote

That I picked up from Micah

And for this day and age

I think it is particularly vital.

 

“Delayed obedience is disobedience.”

Are Micah’s exact words,

I have no doubt at some point

These words you would have heard.

 

And it is important I must add,

The words fitted the occasion:

An occasion of delayed obedience

Hence, his appropriate admonition.

 

When I was a very young lad

I had to obey on the instant,

No break between command and response;

Not even a hint of reluctance.

 

Or else I would regret the act:

Perhaps, a lash or slap

Or, sometime when I was unaware

A strap along my back.

 

 

So, I heeded Micah’s advice

Unlike his bigger sister,

I hated my skin to be marked

By either welts or blisters.

 

You won’t find this in the Bible:

This quote I got from Micah,

For Micah is just a little lad

Though a rather charming fella.

 

Apparently, as I heard it,

He had given his sister an ultimatum

However, she was slow to respond

And he quickly saw her problem.

 

 

Can you imagine a three-year old

Reprimanding his older sibling?

“Delayed obedience is disobedience”

In her ears that should ring.

 

No doubt hearing it repeatedly

It was now stuck in his head

So that when his sister ran afoul,

That was what he said.

 

“Out of the mouths of babes”

Or, “a little child shall lead them”,

It matters not the source of good counsel,

Not to heed it causes problems.

 

 

Not from the prophet, Micah

But from a three-year old lad,

If you have a problem with his advice

I consider that bad.

 

Stewart Russell © August 16, 2020

 


No comments:

Post a Comment