Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Re Shirley Smithen


CELEBRATING A LIFE WELL LIVED – UNCONVENTIONAL LADY
 
There are persons that we admire
With personality traits we long to acquire
And so it becomes our earnest desire
That like these persons we hope to aspire.

I have long admired Shirley Smithen
Going way back to Caribbean Pilgrim College
Right in that location on Barbaree’s Hill
Where she received her Bible College tutelage.

From a student there and afterwards a tutor
Striking me as a woman with a purpose,
Pressing relentlessly to her Divine calling
Never appearing to lose track or focus.

And I, a lad in the Carrington church,
Particularly when the college was in vogue,
And its students carried that presence
That smacked so much of the Christian code.

I could call the names of several students
If I were required to do just that
But suffice it that I should mention just one;
Shirley Smitten was of that pack.

Do not treat this term as derogatory
As some would desire to do
But as a classification of high standards
Achieved by an accomplished few.

Yes, I view Shirley as such a person,
A person of passion; a go-getter if you may,
Overcoming many a trial along life’s trail
With the help of God in her unassuming way.

Encouraged by her Christian demeanour
I have oft observed her steadfast resilience
And unashamedly taking a leaf from her book
Leaned more on God for my assured reliance.

The times we have actually chatted
Have been far between and but just a few
But those moments have been most engaging
And always in sync with the biblical view.

To my mind she is an encourager
Even when facing life’s tempests and storms
And in the midst of those howling winds
Reliance on the Saviour appears to be her norm.

I recall ringing her up on the phone
Having not seen or heard her for a long time
And she was so appreciative of that phone call
It practically blew my mind.

Her knowledge of the Word is exemplary,
Her explanation of the Scripture is simple-based:
Context not pretext is her primary focus
And her biblical position can be easily traced.

These are but a few of my lasting impressions
Of my dear Christian sister and friend,
One of whom I have absolutely no doubt
Will continue in the way of Christ right to the end.

I save this penultimate verse to wish you God’s best
And to encourage you to keep on holding on,
For God is faithful in whom you trust
And will bring you to that glorious eternal dawn.
 
You are a person that I admire
With personality traits I strive to acquire,
And so it becomes my earnest desire
That like you, in steadfastness, I too hope to aspire.

Stewart Russell © January 10, 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment