Friday, May 22, 2020

Swimmers and Sinners



Experiencing the Father's Love - God's Process for Raising Leaders

I got me to thinking
Of swimmers and sinners
And wondered what one had to do with the other,
And then I thought...
Maybe nothing at all
So perhaps of the matter I really should not bother.

But it did not matter
However hard I tried
I just could not stop thinking of this matter,
There was something deep
In my heart I knew it,
Something far more than amusement and chatter.

So I decided to explore
Diligently deeper and deeper
Until I began to unearth some treasures,
Thank God I can share
With you at this time
What I found out about swimmers and sinners.

“Swimmers drown when they cannot swim,”
That thought occurred to me,
I always thought it was the other way around
I must be rather silly.

But if I could swim why would I drown?
Certainly not if I was a good swimmer,
But good doctors die, don’t they?
And then I began to get a glimmer.

Swimmers drown when they cannot swim
Right then it really got home to me,
It was not about the knowledge or even the skill
It was the prevailing difficulty.

A Trivial Devotion: Jesus Slept (Mark 4:38)

The disciples in the boat could all swim well
They were seasoned fishermen,
But that day in question they feared they would drown
They could not cope with the problem.
  
“Carest thou not that we perish?”
They had asked the Master then,
As well as they could swim it would have been no use,
They could not have swum out of that problem.

So, do you see what I mean
When I said what I said,
Swimmers drown when they cannot swim?
That is why many swimmers are dead.

Calming the Sea - Catholic Daily Reflections

They needed some one to rescue them
Perhaps, they had no energy left,
Or, maybe their fear got the better of them
As they came face to face with death.

Sinners are no different from swimmers
They too are in over their heads,
They try to swim through their sea of sin
But in such trespasses they are dead.

They are void of energy like the swimmer
And in need of someone’s deliverance,
Like fishermen at sea in their wave tossed boat
Theirs is a similar circumstance.

Like as those fishermen called out to Jesus
When the lake of Galilee tossed their boat,
Sinners on recognition of their peril
Can also call out to Jesus, their hope.

Bible Passages : Jesus calms the storm | YiaHara!

They cannot swim their way to safety
The sin problem is beyond their skill sect,
Jesus is their only way of deliverance
Any other path will bring eternal regret.

Swimmers and sinners are in the same boat
Do not be distracted by the pun,
Sin will take them to a hopeless grave
Unless they come to Jesus, the Son.

His hands are outstretched in invitation
As he did to Peter on the lake,
Sinner, give up on your own personal swimming
And trust the Saviour before it’s too late.

Stewart Russell © October 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment