Sunday, January 08, 2017

Adam’s Soliloquy




Image result for images of Adam the first man

I am Adam
The first man
Formed by God’s own hand
Straight out of the land

Not a natural birth
Molded from the earth
One of a kind
Not another origin like mine

This is my wife, Eve
Note Eve, not Steve
She is really different
With differing intent

Bone of my bone, yes
And flesh of my flesh
The most beautiful sight in all of Eden
Our first home an amazing garden

You may say
It was too good to last
One disobedient step
And it was a thing of the past

God gave a warning though to Eve and me
Never to eat of a particular tree
But we both disobeyed
And all of humanity was made to pay

Driven from that garden in a hurry
Our first experience of God’s fury
Apart from the tree of life
Into a world of sin and strife

Image result for images of cain and Abel

Out of us twain
Came our first born, Cain
After that Abel and Seth
Were followed by all of the rest

Disabuse your mind of Mother Earth
Cain is the first of natural birth
All of our children came
Through birth pangs and much pain
  
And now you’re reading this
Here’s something you shouldn’t miss
You are one of my clan
And one of Eve’s great grans

How different things had become
Very early on we lost Abel, one son
Killed by the other out of jealousy
Sin had filled Cain’s heart with murderous envy

Imagine our great pain and void
Imagine no daily news or tabloid
Imagine when we first got the news
About the way our first-born did choose

Image result for images of cain and Abel

Choosing to slay his brother
Then walking away without a bother
Reprimanding God in the process
“Am I my brother’s keeper?” was his protest

Soon my entire family was torn apart
Bringing much grief to Eve’s and my heart
Cain continued in his ungodly way
Further and further from God he strayed

But out of Seth came a line
That called out to God in that time
Enoch walk with God for three hundred years
And one day, just like that, he just disappeared

Reminds me of a time when in the future
This will happen to every born again believer
One moment that great company will be here
The next the entire throng will disappear

A day is but a thousand years in God’s sight
With Him there is no morning, noon and night
We reckoned by the appearing of the great sunlight
God sits in eternity through His infinite might

Each time I recall the following I can only sigh
“The day that you eat thereof you will surely die”
None has ever reached that thousand year score
Nine hundred sixty-nine was Methuselah’s, not a year more

I was one of the ‘nine-hundred’ achievers
Besides me there were only five others
We were certainly limited by what was prophesied
In that before one thousand years we would all die

Nine hundred years experiencing the curse
Nine hundred years regretting my sin, the first
Nine hundreds years of sorrow and bereft
Nine hundred years with the prospect of death

How I wished I could return again to that start
How I dreamed after Eden with all of my heart
How I longed for that communion never to part
How I yearned for Father’s fellowship deep in my heart

Within a single day in God’s sight
All my sunshine had turned to night
It appeared Satan had won this particular fight
But suddenly I recalled something much to my delight

At first I did not understand
When first banished from the Eden land
It was not all a curse but there was a blessed strand
Of grace extended from God’s own hand

Image result for images of Genesis 3:15

Enmity will rage between Satan and man
And it would appear as though man will be damned
But Satan’s onslaught will be a temporary show
For the Messiah will deliver him a fatal blow

Even now as I reminisce these hundreds of years
Nine hundred years of toil and fret and cares
I introduce to you the second Adam
God’s Son and my Saviour, the God-Man

Since I walked the face of this earth
Thousands of years have passed with billions of births
By now you should be looking back at Calvary’s cross
And thanking God you don’t have to be lost

In the garden I fell
In the garden Jesus excelled
I fell to my first trial
But he triumphed over Belial

Image result for images for the crucifixion

I sold out the human race
Jesus was the conduit of God’s grace
My love was flawed I do regret
But Jesus’ love is absolutely perfect

I caused death but he brought life
I wilted under pressure but Jesus conquered in the strife
I took all I could but he just gives and gives
I died and decayed but Jesus died and yet lives

I was the first Adam and Jesus the second
There are mostly contrasts but little comparison
My demise was due to my own offense
But his death was for our recompense

He died that you and I can be made alive
It doesn’t matter what Satan and his demons contrive
Death shall be swallowed up and the grave will be no more
As Jesus reveals all that he has in store

I am Adam
The first man
This is my soliloquy
My heat felt plea


Stewart Russell © 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment