Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Christmas in Rerun



Image result for images of preparing for Christmas in Barbados

Shopsmart or Pricemart
Where do I start?
Already behind
And Christmas is near

Popular and Massy
Carlton and A One
Don’t know where to start
And time nearly gone

Several strings of lights
All tangled up
To get them sort out
I will need some luck

Delayed the cleaning
Should have done it long ago
Everything in a mess
Could barely see out a window

Floor needs scrubbing
Don’t feel up to the rubbing
Under the beds needs cleaning
And the wife screaming

Everyday I’m promising
To do something in the home
But I don’t have the feeling
I think I hear the phone

“You start de cleaning yet?”
That’s the wife and she vex
She’s calling to see if I start
But I just don’t have the heart

“Honey I will start soon
Soon as I finish what I’m doing.”
“I am tired of that tune.
I could see trouble brewing.”

“Last year was the same thing
And I did everything myself
You got off scotch free
And I nearly ruin my health.”
  
The wife getting hot
I had better do something quick
Or before you know it
Christmas will find her sick

If only I could make a start
I would do all this in a hurry
The problem is where to start
That is my real worry

Should I start with the cleaning?
Or should I do some shopping?
Should I scrub the floor?
Or should I paint the door?

I could do the windows first
Or perhaps wipe off the ceiling
However I juggle this order
None of it seems appealing

I think I’ll start in the house
Then move out to the lawn
Wait, something is coming on
You guess right; it is a yawn

I’ll give it some more thought
Then I’ll take a little rest
All of this thinking has me tired
I need to be at my best

When I awake from sleep
My mind will be very clear
And I’ll know where to start
Concerning Christmas this year

I’ll just make absolutely sure
The wife doesn’t find me in bed
Cause if that were to happen
I would wish that I were dead

So the first thing on my list
Is a couple hours of sleep
Just to clear this mind of mine
So that my thinking can be deep

After the much needed rest
I will think this through again
And plan to start outside
Especially if it begins to rain

It is critically important for Christmas
To plan what you have to do
For without a well thought out plan
You are likely to drop through

Sleep is therefore important
And lots and lots of it
The wife does not understand this
But that has become my habit

Especially If I have something to do
I find I need much rest
And the more rest I get
The more I am up to the test

So Christmas comes and passes
And more is left undone than done
And every successive Christmas
Is my Christmas in rerun

But there is the consolation
That after Christmas life goes on
And such tasks can still be completed
Even after Christmas has gone

Stewart Russell © 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment