Saturday, December 17, 2016

Another Christmas Same Old Craze



Image result for Images for Isaiah 9:6


Another Christmas season is on us
As we celebrate the birth of Jesus;
The Saviour who is Christ the Lord
As prophesied by Isaiah in God’s Holy Word.

Image result for Images for Isaiah 9:6

For unto us a child is born,
The delight of God that first Christmas morn
Was sent to rescue man from his sin;
This Christmas will you have room for him?

The season of cleaning is all around
In and out the house wherever dust is found
But what of our hearts with all its mess
Will we have it cleaned with the same zest? 

Image result for Images for Isaiah 9:6

Oft misguided, Christmas misunderstood
The emphasis is on cloth, stone and wood,
The curtains to change and the house to paint
The furniture polished and looking quaint.

Image result for images for Barbadians shopping at Christmas

There’s the shopping spree as usual
Bridgetown crowded with all kinds of people
Spending money on stuff they already have
In the last minute rush seeing what they can grab.

“This year I’m not in that,” someone may say,
“I just don’t have the money with which to pay,”
But that’s only talk during the early stage,
As the day draws near watch the buying rage.

Forgetting the debt that was created last year
Every dollar spent not a cent to spare,
Trying to catch up with the payments from then
But this year planning the more to spend.

Is there no end to this silly craze?
When will we come to the terminus of this phase?
For after Christmas we no longer see the glaze
Since our silly spending leaves us a daze.

Image result for images for Barbadians shopping at Christmas

Last year’s lights not good enough this year
My neighbours might outdo me; that’s the fear
So I must get the laser lights, the revolving ones too,
To outdo the rest will require more than a few.
  
Food galore but still we must buy more
Supermarkets overcrowded but yet we bore,
Another large ham and a huge turkey
There’s nothing like Christmas for a spending spree.

The bills in December will just have to wait,
The writ server or bailiff could stand at the gate
Though the after Christmas mess I really hate
When that time comes I will attend to my fate.

For the moment such thoughts I can’t entertain,
At Christmas time I don’t need that strain
And though I know it will cause me some pain,
For right now I can’t let my mind be in that frame.

I intend to enjoy this Christmas to the full
I really don’t care how my conscience tug,
The fun and the frolic are a far greater pull
And if I don’t yield my Christmas would be dull.

All you who travel this road year after year
Here is a little counsel to temper your cheer,
One advent has occurred; there’s another to come
It’s time to look deeper than your Christmas fun.

Image result for images of the nativity

That first Christmas was the first advent
When our Saviour Jesus was from heaven sent,
He is coming again; that’s the Father’s intent
This Christmas would be a good time to repent.

At his coming to this world no room could be found,
Right in a manger he was laid close to the ground
And so from under he could lift both you and me
So that we can be God’s children eternally.

Image result for images of the crucifixion

This Christmas can be an eye opener; that is true
As we reflect on what Christ did for me and for you,
The greatest Christmas gift can be yours this year
And particularly so as his return draws near.

This Christmas give him the best that you can give
Open you heart’s door and see what it is to live,
God gave the best that he could for us
When He gave to the world His only Son, Jesus.

It need not be another Christmas; same old craze,
You need not continue in this unsatisfying phase,
Let him from sin your sin sick soul raise
And let him end forever your after Christmas daze.

Image result for images of the ascension

Thereafter upon your Saviour you will gaze,
You’ll recognize his glory; you’ll see its blaze,
The things of Christmas will not cause you to faze,
With Christmas in right perspective God you will praise.

Stewart Russell © 2016 

No comments:

Post a Comment