Thursday, September 04, 2014

Routine




Woke up at five
More dead than alive
Climbed out of bed
Pain in my head

Went to the loo
Did what you do
Had a cold shower
Still devoid of power

Said my little prayer
Stressed out with fear
Took my usual pill
Pain was there still

Wondered what to do
Ever happened to you?
Went to get dressed
In need of more rest

Drank cup of tea
Nothing else for me
Took up my briefcase
Took off with haste

Must face the test
Be at my best
It’s my daily task
What more to ask

Started up the car
Work much too far
Must drive for long
Tried singing a song

Reached work half-six
Still in my fix
Not happy at all
Must answer the call

Head on the desk
Must have some rest
Pain at the temple
Stress: pure and simple
  
Finally got to start
Not from my heart
Going through the motion
Not with any devotion

Struggled on till lunch
Half hour to munch
To the desk again
Still in much pain

Took another pill
Head is hurting still
Can’t lick this thing
Cursed by my fling

Nights out after work
Tired now not alert
Willing time to come
When work is done

Just four hours more
Says clock over door
Down to work again
Work coming like rain

Throbbing in my head
Recalling what was said
Burn candle at each end
Not a sensible trend

Paid no attention though
Pain come pain go
So addicted can’t stop
Life now big flop

Another pill goes down
More water another frown
Work couple hours more
Then through the door

Made it another day
Accomplished in my way
Sticking to my routine
My life, a scream

To the club again
Matters not the pain
This I enjoy most
What a foolish boast

Early morning and alone
Drove myself to home
Struggled out of car
Front door quite far

Steadied after a pause
Pursued again my cause
Eventually reached the door
Slept upon the floor

Woke up at five
More dead than alive
Right on the floor
I started my chore

Crawled to the loo
What did I do?
I can’t even tell
Fast asleep I fell

Was there for a while
Well that’s my style
Woke up with pain
Head in the drain

Compromising place to be
I’m sure you agree
But that unflattering scene
Begun my daily routine


Stewart Russell © 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment