Friday, September 26, 2014

Punished Unfairly

I pushed the door of my mother’s bedroom and entered.  There on the floor lay one of her most cherished possessions.  It was a crystal flower vase which my father had given her on her last birthday.  She kept it in her room because she wanted nobody to damage it.  Now it lay on the floor in dozens of pieces with the flowers strewn around it.


                    
I was about to turn and leave the room when my mother crept up behind me.  I turned and our eyes met.  She saw the horror on my face then she saw the vase.  She stood there for what seemed like an hour.  I knew it could not have been more than a minute.  I sensed what was coming.  She looked at me, then at the vase, then at me again.  It was then that she said, “How could you do this, Tony?  You know how I cherished that vase.”
                     
I replied, “I did not do it, Mum.  When I entered the room I saw it there on the floor.”  I tried my best to convince my mother of my innocence but I tried in vain.  Mum argued that only she and I were at home therefore I must have been the culprit.

My punishment was almost greater than I could bear.  I could not go out for a month.  I was forced to spend my evenings after school in my room.  I could not even use the telephone.  I felt extremely annoyed especially since I knew I was innocent.  It was some months after when we all found out it was the cat.
                                                
                                                                                                                                                                     Stewart Russell © 1997

No comments:

Post a Comment