Friday, September 26, 2014

The Two Sides of Justin Part 2

The Two Sides Of Justin Part 2

“Well I guess you could throw very accurately young man.  That’s a great hit you made there.  I could not have done better myself, or worse.”  The boys looked up to see a smiling girl of not more than sixteen.  She had the kindest of faces.

She took the injured pigeon in her hands and examined it closely.  “You know,” she said, “this bird probably has some young ones waiting for its return.  They are not likely to ever see their mother again.  See how the blood spoils the beauty of its white breast?  But of course, you didn’t think about that when you took aim.  I wonder who’s going to take care of this injured bird or its young ones.”

                             
Justin could take no more of this.  He felt really bad.  “I am so sorry,” he apologised.    “How could I have been so horrible?  I know what I’ll do.  I’ll take the bird home and look after it.  And I’ll never harm another creature as long as I live.”

“Me neither,” echoed Pete.

Three weeks later, the beautiful pigeon was soaring in the skies again. 

                             


Stewart Russell © 1997

No comments:

Post a Comment