Friday, December 22, 2023

Not Anxious

 

Christmas at the National Gallery | National Gallery Shop

 

I’m not anxious for Christmas

As I usually am,

Let it take its time and come-

That is my plan.

 

Even as an adult

I would count down the days

But for some reason or the other,

This is no longer my way.

 

I absolutely love Christmas

Make no mistake,

But it is fast losing its impact

Here of late.

 

The merchants took over

And now it’s a buying spree,

People spend more than they have

And that is crazy.

 

You may be wondering

In what way they spend more

But they do hire purchase contracts

And these, in galore.

 

Flat Screen TV

They owe on the sofa

And the flat screen television,

They change year old furniture

Without due consideration.

 

Everything’s about Christmas

And little about Christ

Except church Christmas morning

To hear, “You look nice.”

 

 Queen's park tradition to go on - Barbados Today

 

In outfits so splendid

To show off in Queen’s Park,

And to be displayed on Television

Really looking sharp.

 

Anxious about Christmas

Especially if rain is forecast,

Christmas morning in the Park

Is a chance to play mass.

 

It must be my age

Since I am seven decades now,

I am not anxious about Christmas-

No way, no how.

 

Not to mention the eating,

For I have seriously cut back,

Now my appetite is just that,

It’s certainly not slack.

 

If we eat a lot consistently

Our stomach will expand

But if a little, it will contract

On the other hand.

 

So, while I do like Christmas

I am not nearly anxious,

Certainly not like some I know

That like to make a fuss.

 

Solar Christmas Lights: Are They Worth It? | EnergySage

 

By the way, the lights are up

And the wife is very pleased,

I have done all that I intended

And I can take my ease.

 

I’d like a quiet Christmas

And to spend it at home

But alas, not so for this old man,

It will not be home-grown.

 

Invited out for lunch

To a home I will not mention

Having been sternly warned

Staying home is no option.

 

English Tutor Nick P Proverbs (386) Once a Man Twice a Child - Origin -  YouTube

 

Once a man, twice a child,

Maybe I’m at the second stage

The second childhood I mean,

Maybe it is my age.

 

I’m not anxious for Christmas

At least, I am not so anymore,

I am much older now, you see,

I’m not anxious like before.

 

Stewart Russell © December 21, 2023

No comments:

Post a Comment