Friday, December 08, 2023

My Wish for Christmas

 

My Christmas Wish!

 

I am sitting here and thinking

What I would like for Christmas

And believe you me, reader friend,

I am not one to fuss.

 

So, you’d not likely believe me

If I tell you what I wish

For when it comes to eating

It tops my culinary list.

 

No, it could never be conkies;

I am not the conkie general

And it’s not turkey, ham or sorrel,

Those are for regular people.

 

 Simple Carrot Cake - Baker Jo

 

It is none of the myriad cakes:

Like carrot cake or cheese cake,

As a matter of fact, it is not a pastry

That any fancy baker bakes.

 

It is a rarity, I must tell you,

Certainly not an everyday thing

And when visiting at Christmas time

It’s not something one brings.

 

Usually it has to be ordered

For many people do not like it

But if I could get my way my friend,

It would be my daily habit.

 

Before I tell you what it is

Promise me you wouldn’t laugh

And if you honour your promise

I might even give you a half.

 

How I wish I hadn’t said that!

That would be a hard thing to do,

You see, I like this thing so very bad,

I won’t want to share with you.

 

My Wish… | Perspectives of A Writer

 

It’s time to unwrap my wish

And let you see what I mean,

Of all the bread related specialties

This one must be the queen.

 

It has to be a queen, you see

For I am an in-your-face man,

And what you see is what you get,

Expect no change to this plan.

 

Oh yes, my Christmas wish

Seeing you’d never have guessed,

Anyhow, if you said bread-pudding

My answer’s a resounding yes.

 

Creamy Bread Pudding | With a Buttery Barbados Rum Sauce - YouTube

 

Bread-pudding’s my favourite

But not everyone pleases me,

Texture, taste and just a little sugar

Is how I want it to be.

 

Able to be used without water,

 Easy to chew and to swallow

And if you can meet these qualities

Just bring me one tomorrow.

 

I’d rather it be free, of course,

But I would pay you on demand,

For once it a good tasting bread-pudding

You will reach the heart of this man.

 

If you cannot make tomorrow

Try to do it for Christmas day

And you will get some money from me

If done in my bread-pudding way.

 

Easy Salvadoran Bread Pudding Recipe • Our Big Escape

 

By the way, I am a purist

Though presentation is a must,

My bread-pudding must stand alone

Since I am not one to fuss.


Stewart Russell © December 8, 2023

 

No comments:

Post a Comment