Tuesday, October 10, 2023

Michael Caines

  

 



I did not know him long

Just a few years as a matter of fact

But one thing was obvious to me

He was a loving Christian chap.

 

I did not see him often

But was so impressed when I did

Regarding his Christian witness

Daddy Caines was most avid.

 

In the short time that I knew him

Something stood out for me

Here was a man of the Christian faith

That epitomized humility.

 

You may say the two go together

And perhaps you are right,

But the ease with which he displayed it

Presented a wonderful sight.

 

I wish I had known him longer

However, that was not to be

But in the short time that I did

I beheld his sincerity.

 

Though a man of tall stature

He was in no way intimidating

For he would quickly put you at ease

With a smile that was most radiating.

 

The first time that I met him

Was at the funeral of Gloria’s dad

And the firm handshake he gave me

Was among the best I have ever had.

 

The second time I met him

We had much more time to talk

And there was no doubt in my mind

His talk was synonymous with his walk.

 

Another thing that struck me

Regarding this most endearing man

Was his high regard for the family

And the need to stick to God’s plan.

 

For family was the premiere topic

As in that conversation we engaged

And as we listened to his wife and him

They were clearly on the same page.

 

One more characteristic I will mention

And this is in the interest of time

He appeared to be rather soft spoken

But with an obvious firmness in his mind.

 

For when he gave his view on a matter

Though he spoke it with such meekness

There was absolutely no indication

That it came from a position of weakness.

 

He has left us all a great legacy

And our lives have been made the better,

The best that we can do in his memory

Is in Jesus Christ to daily grow deeper.

 

As we stood in vigil at his home going

And as we timed his remaining breaths

We became increasingly encouraged by the fact

There is a better life after death.

 

For in Christ we have this promise

That all who die in him shall live again

And when He shall come to claim his own

The glorious song will be his refrain.

 

Hallelujah to the Lamb that was slain!

Hallelujah to the King who forever reigns!

Hallelujah to Jesus he will proclaim

Hallelujah to my Saviour again and again!

 

Stewart Russell © 2016

 

No comments:

Post a Comment