Monday, April 27, 2020

Setting the Record Straight

Balaam's Talking Donkey | Children's Bible Lessons
Listen up and listen well
Let me tell you a little about me,
I may be a down right jackass
But I will settle for donkey.

A hard worker most of the time
Though some call me lazy,
A lazy jackass some will say
But I prefer donkey.

I am mentioned in the book of Job
At least, my female relatives,
She asses is the term there used
But donkey is less abrasive.

Five hundred of us are mentioned
Later we were one thousand,
God must have been very pleased
To double Job’s donkey band.

In Genesis chapter 12
When Abram left the Chaldees,
We were listed among his wealth
As asses not donkeys.

Then, it was he and she asses
Never the name jackass,
So please, if you must, call me donkey
And let the jackass name be past.

As you can readily see,
Donkeys permeate the Bible
And on at least one occasion
I acted wiser than people.
Balaam's Donkey - Numbers 22: Sunday School Lesson and Bible Story ...
Let me tell you of that time
When I acted wiser than a man,
He was my owner and master
That man’s name was Balaam.
  
I was a faithful donkey
I had never done him wrong
But one day I was donkey-obstinate
For Balaam was wrong and strong.

I became a talking donkey
Though he was no ventriloquist
And had I not opened my mouth
He would be on the death list.
Sharefaith: Church Websites, Church Graphics, Sunday School, VBS ...  
Even then he was still stupid
And was angry that I had talked,
He would have pushed his sword in me
Had not the angel bid him halt.

Though I was a foolish donkey
I saw the danger first,
The angel with his flaming sword
About to deliver the death curse.

Another time I was privileged
To transport a pregnant woman
All the way from Bethlehem
To Nazareth where she was summoned.

Her husband went to pay taxes
As decreed by Caesar Augustus
And the wonder of that journey was,
She was bearing the baby Jesus.

With Jesus was another encounter
Significant for both him and me,
That day as he rode into Jerusalem
He was carried by a donkey.
THE TRIUMPHANT ENTRY OF JESUS INTO JERUSALEM (Mathew 21:10-11 ...  
I was that celebrated donkey
That walked on clothes and palms,
I had become a visible player
In God’s redemptive plan.

I had never been ridden before
For back then I was just a foal
But the master chose me, a donkey,
To perform that important roll.

Twice I had borne the Master,
Yes, he rode upon my back,
Beast of burden you will call me
But you can’t do better than that.
 
I featured in “Animal Farm”
It was not in the best of lights
But being far wiser that all the others
I knew we would get no rights.

Call me stubborn and obstinate,
Call me ugly and grotesque,
But each time I carried the Master
I was at my supreme best.

I take no credit for such
I am a donkey not a jackass,
Too many humans have attempted that
And guess what? They fell fast.

King Herod comes to mind,
He attempted to take God’s glory,
As a result, he died a horrible death
Go to Acts 12 for the story.

Now that I have set the record straight
I will bid you all good-bye,
I am one of God intended creatures
And that you can’t deny.

Stewart Russell © March 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment