Tuesday, April 21, 2020

My Closeup View




Second Chances: The Thief on the Cross ⋆ Diana Leagh Matthews

There was a difference about him
Even as he hung there,
In spite of His discomfort
He still seemed to say, I care.

How could it be possible
That a man in such pain and anguish
Could think of anything other
Than a selfish wish?

A wish to be set free
Even if that escape route was death,
To be freed from this anguish
And enter the folds of sweet rest.

Second Chances: The Thief on the Cross ⋆ Diana Leagh Matthews

That was certainly my wish
And the wish of the other
But this man, O he was different,
His was another matter.

We were concerned with the now
But he looked to the future,
We were concerned with the me
But he saw a bigger picture.

His agony was obvious
But his words seemed unrelated,
It was though he were free
And his tormentors incarcerated.



Second Chances: The Thief on the Cross ⋆ Diana Leagh Matthews

“Father, forgive them,” he cried,
This got home to me,
This man was truly different
That I could definitely see.

He would have to be
To have uttered such a cry,
He was in a different frame of mind
Though we all were destined to die.
  
All around they mocked him
Even the other malefactor,
This man had done nothing wrong
But we both were transgressors.

Suddenly I saw my opportunity
And I grasped it with both hands,
I called out, not in desperation,
But in accordance with his plan.

Second Chances: The Thief on the Cross ⋆ Diana Leagh Matthews

I rebuked the other malefactor
Then confessed we had sinned,
Then I focused right on Jesus
And I said these words to him.

“Lord, remember me,” I cried,
“When you come into your kingdom.”
That day I was promised paradise
By God’s begotten Son.

Shortly after, all was dark
But I beheld a glorious light,
It was the light of sins forgiven
That instant my heart was right.

I heard the centurion confess
He was a righteous man,
I could not agree with him more
He was the sacrificial Lamb.

Second Chances: The Thief on the Cross ⋆ Diana Leagh Matthews

For a crime he did not die
But for a wretched soul like me,
It was I who had done him wrong
But yet he sealed my destiny.

Not death, the wages of my sin,
But life he freely gave,
In the closing moments of my life
He saved this worthless knave.

Mine was a closeup view
Just like those beneath his cross,
So was my fellow scoundrel
But yet he ended up lost.

Second Chances: The Thief on the Cross ⋆ Diana Leagh Matthews
To have been that close to Jesus
And yet reject his call
Is like having everything in life
And then to lose it all.

This need not be your lot today,
He beckons with outstretched arms
Bidding all to come to him
In the midst of their alarms.

So, follow my example,
I am one of the malefactors,
Run to Jesus this very moment,
Invite him to be your Saviour.

Stewart Russell © April 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment