Friday, November 20, 2015

A Word from The Word



“A man is as good as his word”,
You know the popular saying
By people who try to convince others
Of sticking to their word and never denying.

“My word is my face,” another ventures,
“I have always been true to it,
In all my dealings and transactions
I have always made this my habit.”

Keeping one’s word is important,
We all know this so very well
But often when it comes to crunch time
Where to find us, no one can tell.

Another could also advance
Talk is so very cheap,
It costs us nothing to spread a word
But an awful lot to keep.

And so the world continues to be fooled
By many of the great talkers,
They pontificate and they enunciate
But they have been very poor walkers.

Even in their written contracts
Marked with their signatures and ours,
They ignore their written word
And render it as though without power.

Image result for images of a contract

“Isn’t that my signature there?
And isn’t that your signature too?”
“Yes, clearly so my friend,” he says
But your interpretation is not my view.”

And so we have made light of the word
Even by some who will dare tell you
“Do what I say and not what I do,”
When maneuvering between the two.

Let it be known to all and sundry
That practice should accompany talk,
For word is just a lot of hot air
If it is not in accordance to one’s walk.

Image result for images for the word of God

This point is as good as any other
To turn our eyes upon Jesus;
What it does mean to look in his face
And to turn from our worldly lust.

It means more than just a prayer
Or a calling out to him when in our need,
For whatever he says to us to do
We should be inclined to perform in deed.

It is far, far more important
What he speaks to me, or you,
Than all the combined prayer sessions
That you and I can do.

It took me long to understand
The importance of listening to him
For I was obsess with my own talk
Even though my light was dim.

Essential to achieving our goal
When we go to him in prayer
Is to be rooted in his word…
That really is the fundamental layer.

For faith comes by hearing
And by heeding God’s Holy Word,
And by taking it beyond just prayer
It will strengthen and undergird.

As Psalm 138 verse 2 declares
God’s word is magnified above His name,
It is forever settled in heaven,
Psalm 119 verse 89 articulates that claim. 

“My sheep know my voice,” Jesus says,
“And they follow after me.”
The Living Word and Written Word
Are One and that we clearly see.

No deviation and no degradation,
He remained true to God’s Holy Word,
Always walking as His Father led;
I am sure you have already heard.

And so turning one’s eyes upon Jesus
Is to do as he has done,
That’s living by the word of God
And trusting in Jesus His Son.

It means digging into the Word
And meditating on it day and night,
It means listening to its every call
As it guides our path aright

It is not “What would Jesus do,”
It is what he really did,
As we voraciously read His word
And do all that he would bid.

For all who incline to the Holy Spirit
And boast of His direction
Remember it is through the Holy Word
That He also gives instruction.

There is no extra biblical revelation,
The Word of God is complete
And all who trust in any other word
Is surely flirting with defeat.

So that turning our eyes upon Jesus
And looking in his wonderful face
Is simply a life lived in the Holy Word
Energised and enabled by God’s grace.

Stewart Russell © 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment