Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Things Are Not Always What They Seem

Image result for images for the mango treeWilliam stood there and just gazed into the mango tree.  His eyes were fixed on a mango that was hanging from one of the topmost branches.  It was not only ripe and pretty but it was the biggest mango that he had ever seen.  “I must get that fruit,” he thought.  “I must get it if it is the last thing I do.”

While William was standing there his sister came outside.  “Willy!” she called out.  “What are you looking at?  I don’t suppose it is that mango again.”   Her tone conveyed that this matter had been raised before.  “Willy!  Can’t you hear I am talking to you?  Why don’t you answer me?” 

William stood transfixed.  The only thing on his mind was that mango. That year the tree had not borne as many as former years and he had to be contented with just a few.  It was therefore important that he got this one.  His mouth began to water and he could imagine how tasty it would be.  “Well,” he thought to himself, “there is only one way to get it. There’s no stick long enough to reach it so I’ll just have to climb for it.”  With that idea firmly entrenched in his mind he marched toward the tree.

“William, you are not going to do what I think you are going to do?”  Tamisha asked in that inquisitive voice of hers.  You know what Mummy and Daddy always say.  Do not climb trees.”

“What’s wrong with you, Miss. Meddlesome?  You feel you are so important with yourself.  Why do you always have to interfere in things that don’t concern you?”  Why don’t mind your own business?  Isn’t there anything inside for you to do?”  William inquired.

“Well go ahead if you must.  You can’t say I didn’t warn you,” she retorted as though she were an adult admonishing a little boy.  In reality, William was four years older than his sister.  She was only nine but she behaved as if she were an adult.  Her authoritative manner gave more determination to his resolve. 

“I won’t let this little joker stop me from getting that mango,” he said loudly to himself.  “Who does she think she is anyway?”

William reached the branch that held his prize.  “Now if I could just reach over a little bit more.  There, got it!”  There was a cracking noise then a loud scream as


William fell from the top branch.  On his way down he collided with several other branches before he landed on the ground with a thud.  There he lay motionlessly.

Tamisha rushed to her brother and called his name repeatedly but there was no response.  She shook him and cried, “Willy stop fooling around.  This is no time for playing jokes.”  With tears streaming down her face she ran next door.  “Mr. Hall, come quickly!  Willy fell from the mango tree and won’t get up.”  Mr. Hall rushed outside with Tammy behind him.  By this time Willy was sitting up but still dazed from the fall.

     “Are you all right, Sonny? He asked.

Willy was all right except for some bruises and a swollen thumb.  His pride was also hurt but he was glad that it had not turn out any worse.  “Young man you are very fortunate indeed.  You just fell some twenty feet and only have bruises to show for it.  I suppose you were trying to reach this.”  He showed him the mango that he had taken from the ground.  “This is probably the biggest mango I have ever seen and it’s pretty too.  I guess when I was a boy I would have tried to get it too.  I always heard my old folks say, boys will be boys”.  With that Mr. Hall turned the mango around. To the astonishment of the two children it was bird picked.  Willy’s amazement turned to incredulity. 

“Is this what I really risked my life for?” he asked.

“Well, I warned you, didn’t I?” remarked Tammy in a chiding manner.

“You could not have known that it was bird picked.” Willy argued.

“Oh yes I did.  I knew it all along but you never listen to me.” Tammy struck back.

“You really couldn’t have known,” Willy continued.

Well, all is well that ends well.  Everything was back to normal and the siblings were at it again.     


Stewart Russell © 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment