Friday, August 22, 2014

Unbelievable

 
Fantastic Old Locomotive//Vintage Train - YouTube 
The evening train sped slowly up the track
Carrying weary workers on burdened back
Not a sound could be heard in the silent din          


As it chugged to the next stop at Island Inn

The engine labored down the steep hill
Passengers were shouting though quite still
When all of a sudden and out of nowhere
A sound was heard somewhere out there

There was instant silence in the noisy train
As all tried to see above the clattering rain
Pitter patter it went as though on tiny feet
The strangest of sounds bitter yet sweet

A baby wide awake in a very deep sleep
Wanted to know why the hill was so steep
Go back to sleep you shouldn’t be awake
Do stop blabbering for everybody’s sake

Mummy was sleeping so the baby obeyed
Still hoping the train would get on its way
Conductor was bothered anyone could tell
He was fast asleep in the train’s stairwell

Wake him wake him was the silent shout
As calm passengers started rushing about
Leave him alone let him sleep till dawn
Said the irate speaker with a quiet yawn

Meanwhile the pandemonium continued
The sound of the train was now choo-choo
The chugging stopped, the sky turned blue
What had caused it all, still nobody knew


Investigate it said a hairy, baldhead man
Never was like this said conductor Dan
Awaking from his sleep he simply went back
The train sped straight along the winding track

Drama after drama unfolded on the train
Rats in the kitchen roaches in the drain
None understood though picking their brain
There were sunlit skies and driving rain

Everyone was asleep on this uneventful night
None could tell whether it was fear or fright
That drove them to panic in such a calm way
Assured that this night was a very funny day

Never happened before now I truly can say
Only last week I think it was Wednesday
When on this train we were travelling along
Suddenly everything started to go wrong.
Fantastic Old Locomotive//Vintage Train - YouTube
Never happened before the conductor was sure
He thought back over a hundred years and more
From the time he had started working this track
For every occurrence he would always think back

The stranger it seems the more normal it gets
I am told rats and roaches were kept as pets
And what never happened occurred every day
It was always like this as the train went its way

The rats I could understand and the roaches too
But what about driving rain out of skies clear blue
What about the train speeding slowly along
And the silent din something had to be wrong

Listen to me I understand that there is more
This happened for a truth, more than folklore
In the train they heard a plane coming in to land
The pilot was blind and only had one hand


The hand was on the next seat not at his side
And the plane was landing just above high tide
He waved his other hand to the conductor below
Who said something’s wrong I know I just know

The conductor said to me I was sitting quite near
This kind of thing happens all through the year
That one hand pilot he flies that plane well
Many in that tide there I often hear them tell

Many have flown with him in that very plane
They have flown with him again and again
He’s never had an incident there’s none to tell
All of them there in that tide, some gone to hell

I have flown with him too for hundreds of years
On this very train you could ask any of my peers
Not one would tell you a lie, too old for that
When we travel on this train we sleep not chat.

Some call this a ghost train that’s old wives crap
I’ve driven this for years and never had a mishap
Hundreds of years of experience and that’s a fact
And all who travel with me just keep coming back

I started to think like I’d caught the wrong train
Why if I am really here where had I left my brain
Must be some connection, this train and that plane
But can’t tell what it is, it’s driving me insane

With that I picked up my brain and began to think
I went to the fridge and from there took a hot drink
I sat on a train seat my legs curled under me
And there I tried to unravel this great mystery

To do justice I was forced to look way back
To the time the train started out on the track
Having sped out slowly after a long, hurried wait
It powered its way quietly past the station gate
Fantastic Old Locomotive//Vintage Train - YouTube
It motored straight along the very winding track
Labouring down the steep hill everything in tact
Then there was that silent sound I remember now
Strangely silent as it were I heard it somehow

I was deeply asleep trying to catch up on the news
It was raining heavily from a sky of dark blues
The rain poured down though not a cloud in sight
It was stunningly amazing on this sunlit night.

The more I think about it the more confuse I get
Everything dry as bone yet outside is boiling wet
Looking at this phenomenon not sure that it exists
Trying to come to grips with all its turns and twists

About to give up now I’ve had enough of this
Plane heading for the train I’m hoping it will miss
Don’t bother young man the train conductor said
Soon everyone one of us will join the silent dead

I began to wonder could this really be real
I will lose my life on the long forgotten trail
Fighting with my thoughts, this cannot be true
While struggling with the tears clouding up my view

Come on soothed the old man this is nothing new
I have often witness this ever since my youth
He turned to walk away and then I heard the crash
In just a matter of seconds everything was ash



The flames climb to a height encouraged by the rain
Rats burnt in the kitchen and roaches in the drain
Right then I began to notice I couldn’t see my hand
‘Tis only then I recognized I was the one hand man

How many times I’ve experienced this I can never tell
For I always ended up sleeping in the train’s stairwell
There’s much more to tell that’s one thing I know
But guess what you must wait a hundred years or so


Stewart Russell © 2012

1 comment:

  1. It beats me how people can become bored. Such an intriguing life as shown in the poem. It is absolutely unbelievable. I look forward to taking a journey on that train.

    ReplyDelete