Wednesday, February 14, 2024

Difficult to Swallow

 

Proficiency Phrase of the Day #25: A Bitter Pill to Swallow – Tim's Free  English Lesson Plans

 

Occasionally I have a dream,

I find particularly strange,

I am trying to swallow but can’t

Though I strain.

 

My mouth appears full

For whatever reason

And though you may laugh,

This isn’t fun.

 

What is even stranger

Is that I do not think to spit,

This should give some ease

But I do think of it.

 

Fortunately, I would wake

Before I choke,

May I remind you, my friend,

This isn’t a joke.

 

It is like whatever it is

Is just lodged in your throat,

Sometimes it happens in real life

And we should take note.

 

There is the physical form

Similar to my dream

Only that in real life experience

It’s a terrifying scene.

 

What to Do When a Pill Gets Stuck in Your Throat

 

Help is urgently required

To stop that one from choking

And again, I remind you,

I am not joking.

 

Then there is an argument

That just doesn’t wash

In which the opposer is adamant

That it should be squashed.

 

It is difficult to swallow

It just does not make sense

But when explained to the proposer,

He or she takes offence.

 

I will give you an example

Straight from the Bible

In which words mean the opposite

According to some people.

 

Take the book of Revelation

Where certain words are used

Then examine the interpretation

Which some people choose.

 

Must shortly come to pass

For some means 2000 years hence,

I do not mean to be ridiculous

Do not take offence.

 

For the time is at hand

Means a very long time off,

If I say it has already happened

I know some will scoff.

 

Then there is ‘quickly’

Found seven times in this book,

For your own satisfaction

Go and take a look.

 

Revelation 22:20 — Berea Project

 

Some interpret quickly

As how fast it will happen

But the context of each passage

Says when it will be done.

 

Which must shortly be done

Cannot mean how fast,

To make this phrase say such

Is a phenomenal task.

 

It is imminent

Even at the door!

Not two thousand year later

But two thousand before!

 

It is difficult to swallow

It was for me too

But I let the Word speak for itself,

You should do so too.

 

Don’t be too quick to interpret

Before noting what the Bible says,

Must shortly come to pass

Can’t be 2000 years.

 

Stewart Russell © September 10, 2023

 

No comments:

Post a Comment