Monday, October 10, 2022

Not by Dreams or Visions

 

The Anti-christ - Daniel 7 and Revelation 13 | Bible Universe

I used to dream often

About the return of the Lord,

I believe it was based

On my teaching in the Word.

 

I held very firmly

To the teaching of my church

But then I started

To do my own research.

 

I had steered very clear

Of certain prophetic books,

Especially the book of Revelation

Which I basically forsook.

 

Achilles Tendon Rupture - Western New York Urology Associates, LLC

 

But then I incurred an injury

That kept me mostly in bed

And with this time on my hand

It was on those books I fed.

 

Daniel and Jeremiah

Hosea and Zechariah,

Ezekiel and Esther

Ezra and Nehemiah.

 

Matthew, Mark and Luke

Regarding the Olivet discourse

And certain links became obvious

Causing me to change course.

 

Revelation with its images

Of beasts and judgments,

With its apocalyptic language

And prophetic intent.

 

Differentiating between

The figurative and the literal

And coming to conclusions

Regarding times and peoples.

The Anti-christ - Daniel 7 and Revelation 13 | Bible Universe

I have been captivated

By the dreams and the visions

And seeing the connection

Between Daniel and Revelation.

 

Coming to the conclusion

That most prophecies have passed

And there only remains

The consummation at last.

 

When that will take place

I have no clue,

But I know what born-again believers

Have been called to do.

 

Called to holy living

In a very dark world

And carrying out the Great Commission

That is stated in God’s Word.

 

This has been the mandate

Ever since Pentecost,

Be salt and light in the world

And minister to the lost.

 

To be bold to bring about change

To make the world better,

To bring deliverance to the captives

And the prisoners unfetter.

 

There is an expected result

Regarding Jesus’ sacrifice,

There must be a better world

When people receive Christ.

 

And indeed, there have been

As millions have received Jesus,

Great walls have fallen

With the evangelistic thrust.

 

In our spirits we have resigned

That the world will get worse

And will become more dominated

By sin’s "not so dreaded" curse.

 

And while we talk a lot

About what we should be doing,

We twiddle our thumbs

And await our Lord’s returning.

 

4,221 Tabloids Stock Photos, Pictures & Royalty-Free Images - iStock

  

We read the tabloids

And pay attention to world events

And within that context

Try to discover prophetic intent.

 

Of having to adjust

Having to tweak and to modify

Because of some unfulfilled prophecy

On which we relied.

 

Getting fat on religion

And arguing among ourselves

And determining how many people

Are on their way to hell.

 

Developing an escapist attitude

Regarding the Lord’s return,

Like, “Come quickly, Lord Jesus.

It’s for your coming we yearn.”

 

Creating left behind movies

Based on a pre-tribulation rapture

And sharing visions and dreams

Along with much conjecture.

 

I once held to all this

And not very long ago,

But when I search through the Word

Of this, there is little to show.

 

So, I have altered my position

And those dreams have gone away,

I am paying more attention to God’s Word

Than what denominations say.

 

God’s revelation is complete

It needs no human input,

You can share your dream if you like

But I am going by the Book.

The Reason for Living the New Life | The Glory of His Grace

God has given us all

That is required for life and Godly living,

Let us tell this lost world

That He is loving and forgiving.

  

That he can bring about change

And make this world a better place

He has done this for many

Through His mercy and grace.

 

Jesus is coming again!

O yes!  The Bible tells me so,

But this should not be our preoccupation

There is much more to know.

 

We should fill this whole world

With a demonstration of God’s love

Until all come to a knowledge

Of the one from above.

 

Not of the visions and dreams

That some often see,

But with the transforming Word of God

To show how life should be.

 

The abundant life begins here

In this very world

And it can only be possible

 Through the revelation of God’s Word.

 

Stewart Russell © June 2020

 

No comments:

Post a Comment