Monday, October 24, 2022

No Receipts for Seats

 

298 Drawing Of Inside Church Illustrations & Clip Art - iStock

 

“I normally sit there

But I guess you didn’t know,

First time here I guess

But someone could have told you so.”

 

“What are you trying to tell me?

I do not understand,

One sits in an empty pew

That is the usual plan.”

 

“I am a member here

In fact I have been for years

And right where you are sitting

I always sit down there.”

 

Everyone here knows that

And now you know it too,

Don’t try to ignore me

When I am speaking to you.”

 

298 Drawing Of Inside Church Illustrations & Clip Art - iStock

 

“So I guess this is your seat,

Is that what you are trying to say?

And that you sit here all the time

And at this church that is the way?

 

Does each member own a seat?

I thought they were all free,

Even now looking at the seats

There’s not a name that I can see.

 

There’s no name on this pew

I can certainly tell you that,

I checked it when I came in

I can attest to that fact.”

 

“Well I will stand right here

Until you get up and move,

You are sitting in my seat

And I have nothing more to prove.”

 

Well he was sticking to his word

And the service soon began,

He intended standing right there

This was obviously the plan.

 

298 Drawing Of Inside Church Illustrations & Clip Art - iStock

 

The seat was definitely his

And this visitor was trespassing,

This was where he always sat

And there’s no way he was moving.

 

The pastor approached the pulpit

And asked why he was standing,

He said he wanted the man to move

That’s all he was demanding.

 

“He could go somewhere else

There are many more seats,

I know you understand me pastor

So there will be no need to repeat.”

 

“In a minute I will,” the pastor said,

“If only you could prove,

Show me how that seat is yours

And I will make him move.

 

If you could produce for all of us

A genuine, authentic receipt,

I would make him move immediately

And you could have your seat.”

 

However, I know that’s impossible

And I do not need to repeat,

Since we have never held a sale

There are no receipts for seats.

 

298 Drawing Of Inside Church Illustrations & Clip Art - iStock

 

So as we start this service

You have a choice of several pews,

Just remember my dear brother

That one doesn’t belong to you.”

 

Stewart Russell © February 2019

 

No comments:

Post a Comment